View Single Post
Old 30th December 2015, 16.29:12   #26-0 (permalink)
eastsussexred
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: none given
Twitter: @

Default Re: The sad case of a founding member and player of Wrexham Football Club

The person most associated with the founding of Wrexham football club, was not a native of the area.
Edward Manners was born, the son of John Manners and Ann (Mathewson) in Knaresborough, Yorkshire, in 1830, although he would later move to Truro in Cornwall where he married Eliza Rolles Williams in 1854.
While in Truro, his wife gave birth to three children; - Edward John (1855) Charles William (1857) and Frederick James (1858).
During this period, Edward was employed by W Brunton& Co, a fuse manufacturer who supplied safety fuses for blasting to the mining industries, and his role in this company would lead to him being transferred to another of the companies’ fuse works at Brymbo in 1860, where he would become a manager.
Records of the time show that he was living at 26 Regent Street, Wrexham.
Shortly after arriving in Wrexham, Edward had become an influential member of Wrexham Cricket Club (later to be named Denbighshire County Cricket Club) a club at which, he would later be elected as the honourable secretary.
HE was highly regarded by his peers, and in particular for his efforts associated with the Cricket Club, but also as a co-ordinator and clerk of the course for pony race meetings, as well as establishing and organising athletics and other sporting events at the Racecourse. However, it was his role in founding a Football Club that would be his greatest legacy to the Town of Wrexham.
An article in The Wrexham Advertiser 8th October 1864 recorded that club secretary Edward Manners had announced his intentions, during a speech at the end of season Dinner, at The Turf Hotel, following Denbighshire County Cricket Clubs last match of the season on 4th October 1864.
“There is one thing, gentlemen. I wish to name the great want of amusement in this town in winter time. It is my intention to purchase a football in the course of this week, and I shall expect a good many down to the field next Saturday. There are other games I should like to introduce, especially a Yorkshire one called knur and spell, a very nice game. It was only yesterday I called upon the Mayor and he said he should like to see an athletic club established in Wrexham. If we have athletic sports and cannot obtain a room suitable for holding them in we can have them on the green”
DENBIGHSHIRE COUNTY CRICKET CLUB.|1864-10-08|Wrexham and Denbighshire Advertiser and Cheshire Shropshire and North Wales Register - Welsh Newspapers Online
Ann Manners gave birth to a daughter- Annie Eliza, at Regent Street in 1867, but their eldest son Edward John Manners died aged 18, in October 1873: Ann would die, just 5 years later in the summer of 1878. Soon after, Edward moved to 17 Hill Street, Wrexham
In 1880 Edward became Hon Secretary for the Football Association of Wales; a role he would keep for around two years, until his resignation due to work commitments as a commercial traveller for the recently formed Wrexham Lager Beer Company.
England 0 Wales 1
International Friendly Match
26 February 1881

Thomas HindleDarwen (Hon. secretary Lancashire FA) &
Edward Manners Wales (Hon. secretary Welsh FA).
Referee - Segar R. Bastard

Edward died at the age 81, in July 1911

Edward Manners 1830-1911

Last edited by eastsussexred; 30th December 2015 at 16.40:44..