View Single Post
Old 26th January 2016, 22.21:04   #45-0 (permalink)
eastsussexred
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: none given
Twitter: @

Default Re: Founding players 1864

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasanActonlad View Post
If memory correct does'nt the report of the first ever game make's a reference to the return of the "kick-ball game" suggesting football had been played earlier in the town.
Reports of gala's , fêtes and Sunday school picnics report football played. Though that first report is worded it was a real game.
Have read previously in respect of history of game how apprentices played in Chester in mediaeval times, where they used oak tree bark for shin pads.
I believe that the game as we know it came from across the border in Shrewsbury, where grammar schools developed a dribbling game, rather than the old medieval game that you refer too.
A version of football, christened‘ douling’ had been introduced at the school in around 1842 and it was from this game that football began to be developed.
I think that the phrase that you refer to was the return of the 'old leg hit game' and was played earlier around Wrexham. If my memory serves me correctly there were a few teams around that were older than Wrexham although we were the one that went on to become a football league team.

There is a really good piece about football in the area in the early days, with reference notes, although I believe that some of his dates might be incorrect

?The New Craze?: Football and Society in North-East Wales, c.1870-90 | Martin Johnes - Academia.edu

Last edited by eastsussexred; 26th January 2016 at 22.24:44..