View Single Post
Old 12th February 2016, 23.04:19   #67-0 (permalink)
eastsussexred
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: none given
Twitter: @

Default Re: The sad case of a founding members and player of Wrexham Football Club

Thanks Inside Left. I find that pretty much everyone (including myself) likes history. It has a kind of unknown mystery with sort of romantic notions and connotations that people universally find fascinating. There are lots of places where the history of the club has been explored, Wrexham.Com, Evening Leader, Daily Post, Penmon.org, BBC and the club historians etc.. but I feel that perhaps this history, in itself, is a way to a better future, by further raising the profile of the club. In addition to contacting Rod (who hopefully we can help by finding out more information about his own ancestors in Wrexham) I have also contacted the University in South Africa where Thomas Broster was an Honorary Life vice president, as well as contacting the newspapers and media in South Africa with a view to creating a link with the club. In addition, I have contacted newspapers and media at home. The founding of the club came at a time when Wrexham was evolving from a very poor town of just a few thousand people to a time when people were moving to the area for work that was being created and a time when the people of the town were starting to care for its poor and build an infrastructure for its people. While not everyone will agree, I also find the military history of the town very interesting and especially with the links between the club and the military in those early days.
I think that there may be more to be gained by the club by delving further into its history.
We are the Worlds third oldest professional football club who play the worlds most popular sport at the oldest international football stadium in the world. In any other situation, then that in itself is an advertisers dream, but when you add to this, the histories of the people who created the club more than 150 years ago, then it adds an additional depth which provides a much greater profile for the club.

Last edited by eastsussexred; 12th February 2016 at 23.15:05..