View Single Post
Old 5th March 2016, 19.24:50   #105-0 (permalink)
eastsussexred
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: none given
Twitter: @

Default Re: The sad case of a founding members and player of Wrexham Football Club

It is confusing isn't it jonesfach........ its driving me mad. The only information I can find seems to be in newspaper articles, and there seems to be thousands of those to search to find anything relating to The Racecourse.

One possibility could be that the club shop part of the turf hotel (the extension) is actually part of the old Turf Tavern, with the other half of the tavern knocked down when the Turf Hotel was built at a later date. This part does look architecturally older, ie.. a smaller building with lower roof line and windows. The Turf Hotel built later on a grander scale with higher ceilings and higher upper floor and roof line. Just a guess though, but perhaps the reporters wording 'erected new offices' actually meant refurbished new offices.
I'm not sure where it says about the grandstand being built with changing rooms in those early days. I was thinking that the upper floor above the old club shop (the extension part) was just utilised by the players as football became popular and that there wasn't any other changing rooms until the angled stand was built c1940's.
I agree with what you say about football being played in the centre of the ring, but cant fathom why the grandstand was built where it was and why there are newspaper reports of riders falling in races in front of the grandstand? Also, I did read one report on an early race which talked about a the turn on the track near Crispin Lane. I will try to find it again

Last edited by eastsussexred; 5th March 2016 at 19.31:15..