View Single Post
Old 13th May 2017, 08.34:45   #1-0 (permalink)
WAFCExile
Squad Player

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot:
Twitter: @

Default Next season's commentary and highlights

It's great that the club is going free-to-air for commentary and highlights next year, and trying to raise a bit of revenue through advertising. As an exile, I've relied on their service for years, and it's improved dramatically in recent seasons.

So, in anticipation I tried listening to Calon FM over the internet. The experience was terrible. It only lasted a few seconds before buffering then cutting out, then looping randomly. (This is on my broadband at home. It's even worse on 3G.) Part of the problem seems to be that the stream is only available as a 256kbps stream. That's going to chew through data allows at around 250Mb per game, or perhaps 2Gb per month during busy periods.

It's vital that this is sorted before the new season, so that there's a very reliable stream that people can use with their mobiles.

PS - I was also going to say that perhaps many of those of us who have been used to paying £48/year for Wrexham Player might be willing to continue some level of payment next season. I wonder whether you could encourage listeners to donate £1 or £2 a month. The website https://www.patreon.com is set up to help small-scale creators get funds like this. I use it to support a guy who draws comics, and he's making about £3k a month now and has quit his job and does comics full time. I'm not saying that the Media team will bring in that amount, but every little helps...