View Single Post
Old 2nd June 2017, 12.59:58   #16-0 (permalink)
Always The Kop
Legend

Racecourse Spot: MRS
Twitter: @

Default Re: European Memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Light View Post
Wrexham 1 Porto 0 - attendance 4,935.

Can still see Jim Steele soaring like an eagle to head the only goal into the kop net - not sure but think the Porto keeper that night was Petar Barota who had previously played under John Neal at Chelsea. Sadly Barota died about 4 years back in his 50's. The Porto team that night were bursting with quality players.

Both Jim Steele and Jimmy Harvey left us to join Tranmere under Johnny King - it still riles me to this day of what could have been if we had kept hold of them.

https://youtu.be/kpKjAPOjUNA
To think we can get a similar sized crowd against Southport now. I never went to the Porto game, I did go to the Roma game ( it was one of the first games I went to, I think I went to one league game prior to it )

I used to stand by the dugout, players tunnel side and watched the first few years staring right through a metal fence ( great customer service in them days, what a view )

All I remember was there was a big crowd, it was at night under the massive floodlights and their players were all massive compared to our players, not really tall just stocky as I remember.

I was hooked from then on

My all time favourite game Real Zaragoza, that game had everything apart from us going through. They still did not beat the mighty reds with 2 draws accross the two legs.

The kop was rammed that night, my rib cage ached for a week afterwards, when we scored the back of the kop went mental and I ended up about 20 foot from where I started, to a 15 year old this was as good as it got, football, mates, singing and jumping around like lunatics when we scored....happy memories.