View Single Post
Old 5th June 2017, 20.39:35   #30-0 (permalink)
Brinster
First Teamer

(info)

Racecourse Spot: MRS

Default Re: European Memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Powered Rattle View Post
I remember us outplaying FC Zurich and Hadjuk Split at home. Seem to recall the late great Eddie May punching someone's lights out during the game. They were cheating rogues and we were robbed in Split by cheating and bent refereeing.
I have a programme from the Djurgarden FC away game in Sweden and a badge from Stal Rzezow somewhere in the attic. We beat them both before losing to Anderlecht (only just!)
The home leg against Hajduk Split has to be up there as one of the best nights ever at the racecourse. Standing in the middle of the Kop as part of a big crowd, nearly 20K if I remember correctly, watching Budgie on fire getting 2 goals and a great result. But I also remember feeling absolutely gutted when they sneaked their goal when we were 3-0 up and thinking that it would come back to haunt us, which sadly it did after some shocking decisions in the second leg.

Even though we went out on away goals after the second leg it doesn't diminish the pride I still feel from that first leg performance.