View Single Post
Old 11th February 2018, 18.06:36   #33-0 (permalink)
jackwilliams
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: anywhere
Twitter: @

Default Re: Centre Midfield Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagl View Post
Quite surprisingly given DKs playing career and his part in our superb midfield when he was a player then our CM problems still continue and go unaddressed.

Yesterdays performance once again underlined this and just like a boxer that dominates the centre of the ring then teams that dominate the centre of midfield are usually the better team.

The amount of space given to the Halifax midfield allowed their number 10 to continually pass the ball around at ease and the equaliser was on the cards.
The manner of the equaliser again showed the lack of urgency in the team to get out of the defensive structure and close down the ball.

Wedgbury for all his attributes is basically a 3rd centre half and is very effective from a defensive perspective but this allows the opposition to dominate the CM and the area of the pitch around the centre circle.

If we are going to continue with a 442 formation then DK needs to make sure it is 442 and not 4132 which is how it seems at the moment.
Unfortunately Deverdics and Kelly were almost anonymous yesterday which compounded the problem even more and with Wright not even on the bench then we had no options.

DK has to address this problem with his last piece of player recruitment. IMO.
I am very much a Keates fan. For me he has built his side steadily with a view to being ready to go next season. The side has done even better by getting into the top three! However I agree with you Pagl. In the games I have seen we have often conceded the midfield. At Aldershot Rowe ran the game for them and we made no effort to close them down. This tactic, conceding midfield, has worked against some sides, but where they have some clever inter passers we get exposed like Aldershot and Macclesfield. For me we probably need a more advanced midfielder who can close down playmakers, whilst being creative when we get the ball. Saturday is a big game.