View Single Post
Old 8th May 2018, 14.07:39   #1-0 (permalink)
The Only Way Is Up
First Teamer

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: none given
Twitter: @

Default Sugar Daddy needed - again?

No, not at Wrexham, but at Eastleigh (in all likelihood.)

It may be old news by now, but an "international consortium of football investors", led by Eastleigh chairman Stewart Donald, will take over at Sunderland subject to EFL approval.

Donald put £10 million into Eastleigh who - remind me? - finished in 14th place - below us - despite the massive investment he made during his 6 years of ownership.

In April, he said “I have put an awful lot of hard work and money into Eastleigh and I have ambitions of getting them in the Championship.
“If for any reason this deal looks different to all the others put on my desk, this club is debt free and run a certain way and there is no way on this earth I would ever jeopardise Eastleigh’s future over making some pounds somewhere else.”

The multi-millionaire arrived at Eastleigh with ambitions of taking them to the Football League. By his own admission he made mistakes in spending too much money and over-paying players to achieve that, while similarly to Short’s approach at Sunderland, he also brought the axe down on a number of mangers rather easily during his tenure.

He says that Eastleigh is debt free - which might well be the case despite his "investment" (that word again.... what does he gain by selling them now?) Unless it means that Eastleigh, like Oxford United, his previous "hobby" were simply stepping stones to greater fortunes for him as a part-owner of Sunderland.

How fast things change when "investors" see a brighter tomorrow elsewhere...

Thank God we don't have that to worry about at Wrexham. Who will pay those inflated player salaries at Eastleigh next season? They may have no debt today, but tomorrow???