View Single Post
Old 27th May 2018, 10.09:13   #5-0 (permalink)
andyjack
First Teamer

Racecourse Spot: none given
Twitter: @

Default Re: I'm starting to worry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WREXHAM TID View Post
I am usually all for giving managers time to settle in and a chance to prove themselves- I even gave Gary Mills the benefit of the doubt after signing that pile of dross.

However I am slowly getting very concerned for this season and the appointment of Ricketts. Before we even start looking at his decisions so far I am also concerned with the board giving him a 3 year deal as I honestly believe he won't last the season with us!

1st point of concern - He wanted to keep all backroom staff and so far Oakes and Davies have both decided to move to Walsall. This isn't the end of the world but the fact he's waiting to find his perfect number 2 really concerns me. He surely knows who he wants and needs them in place to start putting together a plan for the upcoming season.

2nd point of concern - The size of the squad! I agree we need quality over quantity but an 18 man squad is to small we are an injury and a suspension off not being able to fill our bench. On top of this if he counts Leo Smith and Doug Tharme in that 18 then I really worry for the quality of the squad.

3rd point of concern - I am a big believer in recruiting early doors. It straight away shows you know who you want and you can persuade them to play for you. I look at our good seasons/ players signed and we have had a good number of them in before June!

Saunders signed the likes of Keates very early in the window in our 98 point season. Keates himself had Holroyd and Pearson in early doors last season.
Wilkin signed Jennings early on after his goal scoring spell at Macc

Comparing that to Morells dithering in every window saying he's not going to sign just any players and Mill's throwing together a squad of Bakare and Powell!

4th point of concern- Letting Wedgebury go! - You have to be naive to think the Chesterfield deal wasn't in place before he was released his contract. Make them pay for him! If they don't pay for him then keep him! He works tirelessly for the team and I don't think that would change even if he was unhappy about his commute. On top of that losing Wedge is a blow to us but also straightens a promotion rival.

5th point - He wants young hungry players- sounds great in theory, in practice I want conference shithouses who are in refs ears all game, using there experience to win games. Keates and Pearson are classic examples of this. We have been in this league for 10 years and I want to get out of it and I don't care how we do it. I look at the players opposition fans hate and they are all very experienced players who aren't afraid to play dirty in order to win (McNulty, Read, Anderade to name just a few). These young hungry players from prem or championship clubs are playing a different game in the conference and get found out very quickly 9 times out of 10.

You only have to look at Macc and Tranmere this season to realise they have a conference proven players in a team and don't carry players for the ride because they were in there youth set up etc.

I hope Sam proves me wrong but for me all the signs are in place for a mid-table finish. The only saving grace is he has a good core of the squad from last season unless he decides to release anymore from there contracts
I imagine it will be a squad of 18 then padded out with loans