View Single Post
Old 6th June 2018, 22.24:02   #118-0 (permalink)
Dai Robin
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: none given
Twitter: @

Default Re: Resolution D - Bring Back Rockin Robin

The name change from the Robins to the Dragons was at the start of people from outside the area getting involved in the club and was the idea of Christian Smith who saw the successful Rockin Robin as a reminder of his predecessor, Alan Thomas, who created the mascot. The vision was that when we played Cardiff or Swansea they would be viewed as supporting Wrexham if they held up the Welsh flag. The mainly internet based campaign was carried out with petitions carried out in favour of keeping the Robins being mysteriously lost. I believe less than 1000 votes were counted with many people believing the change just would not happen.
Wrexham Rugby Club had previously tried the same thing but dropped the idea after a while as it was a marketing disaster.
Dragon items can be bought anywhere, whereas The Robins could only be found in the shop at the Racecourse.
I can understand the greater appeal of the Dragons to people from outside the area but there are dozens of Dragon businesses in the North Wales area.. When the local papers carried the Robins in a headline there was no doubt that the article was going to be about Wrexham AFC.
Using Google to search produces 58,200,000 results for “The Robins” but 223,000,000 for “The Dragons”, Wrexham appeared on both searches.
A lot of people at the club did not want the change but voicing opinions at that time was not really an option.
If adopting the National flag is such a good idea why haven't any of the other teams adopted the Union Jack? On the subject of the mascots I don’t particularly like having a caricature of our National Emblem for the opposition to laugh at and the comments St.George slayed the Dragon.
Rockin Robin was regularly opening fetes and the Children easily related to him and there was no doubt he was the Wrexham FC Mascot whereas the Dragon identifies more with Wales?