View Single Post
Old 13th June 2018, 20.57:52   #41-0 (permalink)
terrytactics
First Teamer

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: GUS
Twitter: @

Default Re: WST AGM Resolution E - increase facilities for wheelchair users asap

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafc1926 View Post
Am I right in thinking that the WST board could have officially endorsed this Resolution therefore ensuring only a simple majority would be required?
The answer appears to be no, however the WST Rules and Standing Orders are confusing and contradictory.

WST Rules.
Paragraph 27: "The Members may by a resolution carried by not less than two-thirds of the members voting at a general meeting but not otherwise give directions to the Society Board. A Member wishing to propose a Members’ resolution for consideration at a general meeting shall give notice in writing to the Secretary of such wish, and of the justification for, form and content of the resolution, not later than noon 28 days before that meeting is to be held. The following provisions apply to any directions given"...

Paragraph 50: "Decisions at general meetings shall be made by passing resolutions:
50.1 The following decisions must be made by extraordinary resolution:
50.1.1 Any amendment to the Society's Rules;
50.1.2 The decision to wind up the Society.
50.1.3 Any decision to allot new shares in Wrexham AFC Limited other
than to the Society
50.2 All other decisions shall be made by ordinary resolution.
51. An extraordinary resolution is one passed by a majority of not less than 75% of votes cast at a general meeting and an ordinary resolution is one passed by a simple majority (51%) of votes cast."

WST Standing Orders make no mention of the amount of votes a resolution must gain before being passed.

I think that part of the 'confusion' lies in the terminology; I've read in the two documents, General Meeting, Annual General Meeting and Special General Meeting. So, although Resolution E should be considered as an ordinary resolution requiring a simple majority (51%) of votes, its being treated differently (two-thirds of votes) because the vote is taking place at an AGM: why voting for an ordinary resolution at an AGM is treated differently is unexplained.