View Single Post
Old 6th July 2018, 21.34:15   #95-0 (permalink)
MagicBag
First Teamer

Racecourse Spot:
Twitter: @

Default Re: Luke Summerfield (SIGNED)

Asked a Plymouth fan about Summerfield and got this response which I've copied for you all because I'm kind

Quote:
Another youth product of ours who sadly didn't really make it at the time and, a little like Luke Young, played for us at the wrong time as we descended into administration, relegations and became a shell of a club.
Luke's Dad was a semi-legend at the club - Kevin Summerfield. Kevin was like a lower league Alan Devonshire (if you remember him). A skillful little winger/attacking midfielder who played for us when we were generally a decent 2nd tier side alongside some real club legends so he is always remembered fondly. Sadly, Luke had that unenviable task of trying to escape the shadow of his Dad but really never did it as he was a very different player. He started out in the Championship and got a handful of sub appearances as we had a very strong midfield at the time including former Premier League players and also players who would go on to Premier League clubs. He scored an utter blinder on his full debut and everything after that game just didn't seem to work and he ended up going out on loan a few times. He left us in 2011.

During his Championship years he was in squads with Lillian Nalis, Carl Fletcher, David Norris, Dan Gosling, Joe Mason, Akos Buzsaky, Jamie Mackie, Yannick Bolasie, Jason Puncheon, Peter Halmosi and a few others I've forgotten. These were high end Championship players and some were sold for millions - particularly Bolasie. This didn't help a young lad to get more games.

He was a really classy player when he was here, a real ball player and had an eye for goal and always looked calm on the ball. The problem was, there were better players and then, when he finally got a chance, he was expected to run the midfield. He lacked pace and I think at Championship level, a midfielder with no pace is a lost cause. You can't really help that as you either have it or you don't.

He just never made it at our club and I think if he'd had left a lot earlier, he'd be Championship standard or League 1 at least. I quite liked him as a player and he always gets a good reception when he comes back - he has a few times.

I'd rate him from his Championship performances as one of the better youth products of the past 20 years. He's better than Luke Young, that's for sure.
His thoughts on Luke Young who we know a bit more about

Quote:
I liked his enthusiasm and he has a bit of talent and he's a ball winner. I was sad to see him go when he did and his time at Torquay was fairly traumatic so I think he deserves a positive move. He should score goals (he's got a decent strike on him) and he's an all action player so hopefully, you'll get the best out of him.
Ivybridge is my new favourite place I'd never heard of until a couple of weeks ago.