View Single Post
Old 26th July 2018, 10.20:56   #11-0 (permalink)
pagl
Tipped As Manager

(info 1 & 2)

(info)

Racecourse Spot: Techend
Twitter: @

Default Re: The midfield Concertina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Attack View Post
I hate the quarterback term in football.

This is a conundrum however it’s up to the manager to address it. I’m always of the view that you need to get as many of your good players on the pitch.

As it stands, I’d like us to play 4-3-3 with Summerfield, Young and Deverdics in midfield and Rutherford, Holroyd and MFT up front.
As with any formation there is no point shoehorning players into it when they don't fit. We have seen it time and time again with our left midfield. Leslie, Hunt, Kelly, Deverdics, Leo and now Holroyd who says he doesn't mind playing out there.

For 433 to be effective then the front 3 need to be able to switch positions or you need a decent out and out winger that can switch from left to right. We don't have any of these.

I quite like the idea of the 4231 for this season - providing the 2 are trying to dominate the midfield around the centre circle and not trying to play on top of the 2 CBs. However the main concern I have with this is the effectiveness of both FBs to push forward. I think Jennings is a liability and Roberts probably plays it a bit too safe when we push forward.

In the front formation of the 3 and 1 then it's vital we have some pace and creativity and I don't see enough of that with Holroyd, Deverdics and Rutherford to support MTF as the front man. Pyke seems to be the back up plan in this formation.