Thread: Champions
View Single Post
Old 12th September 2018, 19.05:40   #168-0 (permalink)
Foxy
Part Time ITV4 Pundit

Racecourse Spot: none given
Twitter: @

Default Re: Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafc1926 View Post
Sorry Welsh Kiwi but this is nonsense. Fans always had a voice back then , primarily through the Supporters Association who were involved closely with the Club via Fundraising , Programme Production , Catering , etc etc. By the early 80's , with the active co-operation and encouragement of Commercial Manager Reg Slater, we ran the Centre Spot Shop, Away Travel , Junior Reds, 500 Club Draw as well as those areas previously in our care. Reg , meanwhile , was free to concentrate on his main commercial duties including the Club Lottery which brought in a small fortune. You will also be aware of the Centenary Club committee , made up of local businessmen and professionals, which worked tirelessly to raise money and were largely responsible for getting the Yale Stand built.
As for getting views across in the local papers ....I never had a problem! They ...Reg Herbert, Dave Lovett, Les Chamberlain , Ron Chaloner, and now Nick Harrison ...were always receptive to constructive criticism .When I first met my wife she thought my name was Controversial Dave Davies, having seen me described as such in the Leader!!
It appears fashionable these days to pretend the Fans movement at Wrexham started with the formation of WST in 2001 and that previously we only had the dark days. I , like many other Reds , believe in Fans Ownership but also believe we should respect those who have served the Club well in the past. Re-writing history to suit a philosophy is both wrong and dangerous.
Respectfully yours
Dave
That’s a cracking post.