Thread: How I Feel
View Single Post
Old 14th January 2019, 16.34:39   #10-0 (permalink)
EnglishRed
retired & running a pub

Racecourse Spot:
Twitter: @

Default Re: How I Feel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooh aah Paskin View Post
When we first dropped down, I enjoyed it on a perverse level...seeing all the quaint grounds and teams suffering under the illusion we would be up again soon.

I enjoyed our trips to Wembley (apart from the play off defeat...).

But we have been down here too long and those quaint grounds are grating now, and even the option of seeing new teams has worn me down.

I just want to get out of this league (the right way I hasten to add!) and I honestly thought we had a good chance this season.

We still do but it needs an instant and dramatic reversal of our form to do so. However, I don't think we have a lack of firepower (certainly now anyway), I think the midfield is where our problems stem from.

At some point the tactic has obviously been for the midfield to sit deep in front of our defence and to an extent that worked, we have a fantastic defensive record.

But we are just choking the supply line to our forwards. It was fine when we were winning games by the odd goal from a defender or midfielder but these have dried up.
There seems to be no creativity going forwards, a reluctance to lose possession which means we go from side to side and maybe threaten the opponents box every now and then.

And, for a team with some good strikers of the ball (Young, Summerfield, Walker etc) we seem scared to shoot when in sight of goal and want to 'walk' it in.

I've lost count of the times I have shouted 'shoot!' when the opportunity arises. The keeper could be unsighted, it could take a deflection, the keeper could parry it for a striker to follow up...but none of these things happen due to our fear of trying.

Until we link the midfield and forwards more effectively we will always struggle to score.
It hit me the other day that there is a while generation of Wrexham supporters who haven't really seen us outside non league. Just like I was jealous I wasn't around to see us in the old Div 2 or the European Adventures they missed out on the cup runs and constant battling for play offs in league 1 (or equivalent) I got to experience in the 90s.

We need to get out of here.