View Single Post
Old 10th March 2019, 22.40:39   #20-0 (permalink)
Red-C
Legend

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot:
Twitter: @

Default Re: Ratings v Orient

I think the issues with the team going forward are tactical and, dare I say it, philisophical with focus on defending from the front. The players can't be faulted for their efforts but I simply don't think it is coincidence that we've cycled through a dozen strikers and they all look crap in our team.

The Beavon issue is a major one for me. He looks good at what he does but, in my opinion, it achieves absolutely nothing as a goal threat. He "makes life difficult" for the defenders and "wins more than he should for a man of his size" sound like positive statements but in practice it just means he is tussling with defenders throughout the game.

See it from the other side. As a centre half do you want a player like Jay Simpson (who is obviously too talented for this level but point still stands) finding space, turning and running at you with the ball at his feet or do you want to have a scrap with player 6 inches smaller than you for balls chipped in to the box? Even if he makes it difficult to distribute from the back, it's not as if our midfield are using the second ball to make chances in next phase.

Would love to have a good chat with Darlington about his ideology and if it's the reason why we have suffered from the same attacking problems for years whilst being so solid in the back 2/3rds of the pitch.