View Single Post
Old 13th March 2019, 01.06:07   #5-0 (permalink)
Red-C
Legend

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot:
Twitter: @

Default Re: Conclusions from tonight

Its took me a while to work it out but I think tonight I've worked it out. Our entire philosophy of play is to be thinking one step ahead. Our players think about what they need to do defensively even when we have the ball. It's why the midfield as are so reluctant to make space or gamble, it's why we have Beavon battling like a defensive midfielder in final third even when we on the attack.

I'm not being too dismissive because on balance it has been moderately successful this season but when the mistakes start to happen like on Saturday and tonight (either by having key players missing or through individual mistakes) then there is nothing much left.

I don't know what the answer is as the likes of Akil and Beavon have this mentality so deeply ingrained in their play but I think it is an explanation of sorts.

Look at Holroyd. Is he the best player you've ever seen: of course not. But does he have a different approach to the game than the rest of them. I think he does. Stockton too in a different way. If we want to try to unlock teams moving forward with what we got I think we need to give these two a bit more flexibility. Take away their defensive responsibility and let them have a go. Tollet is also part of the answer but I don't quite see in him what the rest of you do. A player who tries to beat his man and succeeds 1 in 4 is an asset but his ratio is more like once every three games.

I'm trying so hard to be positive here but even that reads back as super negative.