View Single Post
Old 8th April 2019, 21.28:07   #27-0 (permalink)
Red Light
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: none given
Twitter: @

Default Re: Reserve Team....Do we need one?

Do we need a reserve team playing in a competitive league ?
Yes it would benefit us.
Can we afford to run one ?
Probably not.

When Mills was manager I seem to recall he crossed it off the list preferring to put all his eggs in one basket and focus on the first team - similar to youth and developing players who could eventually break into the first team like when Flynn was manager.
You have to feel sorry for the young kids coming through - ultimately they never really get a chance. Successive managers will always play cautious and opt for the old experienced seasoned pro - rarely does a youngster break into the first team and stay there. I really rate Doug Tharme from what I have seen of him and he is probably our best young prospect - with the unfortunate injury to Lawlor described as a dislocated shoulder by BH in his post match interview - Tharme might now get his chance to at least get a place on the subs bench.

However, the real problem seems to be any fringe players coming back from injury or promising youngsters never get to play competitively as in the old Central League. Playing regular matches in a structured league would surely benefit us - but someone somewhere will hopefully have done the maths and come to the conclusion that, financially we can't do it.