View Single Post
Old 4th May 2019, 08.45:37   #2-0 (permalink)
Outertowner
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: ERS - Im a Stander
Twitter: @

Default Re: Seven ways to get out of the conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport/fo...n-ways-6595174

We touched on this in the week but thought it was worth giving more coverage to.

For those of us who thinks it's a pretty simple game at this level and don't buy into the FAW mantra and stats, this article is still as relevant today as it was when it was first written.

1.Centre backs. Agreed and big tick

2. Pacey full backs. Agreed. We need a right back, Jennings is good enough

3. Midfield general. Agreed and bit of a problem here because we ain't got one so that goes on the shopping list.

4.Strikers. No words needed, apart from strikers do indeed hunt in pairs. So please, none of this one up top bollox and obviously a striker or two on the shopping list.

5. Keeper. We have one, will we be able to keep hold of him? I feel we must.

6. Money. We are not swimming in it and nobody is expecting players on 2k a week, but with the Ward money and healthy revenues brought in through the gate this season, surely there must be enough to put a decent team together.

7. Massive tick.

So there you have it. Personally I'd have replaced away fans with a proper wide man but you get the gist. A simple (possibly too simple for some) plan to get out of the league.

Thoughts?
I’d agree with that. If we could tick everything on that list we would stand a pretty good chance of going up as champions. The question is whether we can actually do it. We’ve had countless strikers brought in and really none of them are good enough. Am I confident that we could get one decent striker in never mind two, I’m not so sure.
There’s a lot of work to do in the summer but I think a creative centre mid and a 20goal a season striker is essential if we seriously want to compete. If we fail to address these two crucial positions we will almost definitely come up short again.