Thread: Salford
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2019, 08.10:02   #23-0 (permalink)
stalybridge sheepshagger
Club Captain

Racecourse Spot: Mold Rd
Twitter: @vegastaffy

Default Re: Salford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-C View Post
As a general rule I couldn't care less how any other team gets on apart from Wales and Wrexham and am completely neutral. I am not even arsed about Chester so long as they are forever below us.

However, I make one exception this year and it is I do not want Salford to go up. I hate Tory football clubs like Fylde but I even prefer them to Salford. The media love-in around them and that utter hypocrite Gary Neville in particular makes me vomit and for the good of football and my sanity and the less we hear about them the better.

One underreported aspect of all this is you have Neville 1 who is the most prominent pundit on TV, Neville 2 who is an international manager in the FA (and a prominant pundit), Giggs who is an internal manager in WFA and Scholes (another prominant pundit) all involved.

I still can't quite work out exactly what they are up to but they are certainly up to something dodgy with Peter Lim's billions behind then and when the time comes that we all clock onto what it is it will be either too late or be completely overlooked as there will be no criticial oversight due to the fact it is that lot running them. An official feeder team for Man Utd? Maybe. More likely to be some kind of long term property development project where they "invest" in the local area by further gentrifying Salford by expanding their own property portfolios. It WILL be dodgy.

I loathe them with a passion.
Quite agree, but its an unfortunate fact of life at all levels of football that you can buy success.
The Premier league in the main is run by foreign oligarchs who put their billions into building successful Premier league teams.
Even at our level, football clubs have become rich men's toys, and a fans owned club like ourselves are going to bumble along on the fringes of promotion or, as in recent years, mid table mediocrity.

Even at youth level, the top clubs steal the cream, once upon a time Wrexham FC produced top quality players who enhanced the clubs standing before being sold on for big money, Thomas, Jones, Smallman, Ashcroft, Hughes, Niedzweicki, etc. Now we have the Premier teams picking up the best of North Wales youth and signing them on when they are just 8 or 9 years old. It is unlikely any of them will ever see the 1st team, but they'll be loaned out constantly to EFL clubs and then sold for peanuts, money that would have previously flown into the accounts of clubs like ours.

Personally, I'd have preferred for Eastleigh to have gone up, simply for the fact that they are a long way from us, are a nightmare for away games, and I'd rather go to Fylde or Salford to embarrass their rich owners when we take a massive following to their Legoland grounds.

The end of the season will also see the transfer merry-go-round which is a new phenomenon. Once clubs like us, would release 5 or 6 players at the end of the season and retain the core playing staff to build on for the coming season, with the addition of 5/6 replacements.
Now its chaos, short term contracts mean our top players go, and the main criteria for the incoming additions is not the quality of their play, but the cost of their salary.

It's a lottery, can we find the hidden gems at a lower level who will come in and enhance our club and take us to a higher level, because we can no longer sign the likes of John Roberts, Ian Moir, Steve Fox, who had all played at higher levels but were now happy to drop down to earn a wage. The money in the top sphere now means that once you're released by a big club, unless you've got a gambling habit or a drink/drug addiction, you never need to pull on your boots again.
Another long season looms - COYR