View Single Post
Old 10th May 2019, 12.22:29   #4-0 (permalink)
Sandgrounder
First Teamer

Racecourse Spot:
Twitter: @

Default Re: Is there a best formation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanvax View Post
We have been playing 4-3-3 for the last few years without it really doing the trick particularly in terms of goals scored. From my point of view it seems to leave the central striker far too isolated - often turning into a 4-5-1. At the same time we seem to struggle to generate width, stretch teams and create space.

That said lots of teams play this and score loads so it may be a personnel issue or tactical issue (we are too route one on my opinion) rather than a system issue.

So - what formation should we adopt next season? - should BH decide on the formation and recruit players to play it effectively - or base the formation on the limitations of the existing players we have?

Personally - I favour a 442 or 4132 - and recruit towards achieving that.
I'm with you, Stanvax.

I haven't seen too much of Wrexham in the last season or two but the team I have been watching also play 433 or a 442 with diamond midfield. They have had identical issues to the ones you identify, so I think it's a system issue unless you have the players to make it work.

Personally, I'd prefer a flat 442 as everybody in non league, supporters and players alike, know exactly where they stand with that formation and it covers more of the bases more of the time than any other formation I've seen played in non league.

I also think, however, that modern football obsesses way too much about formations. I wish managers would just go out and get the best players they can, and then choose the formation based on what they have and not the other way around.