View Single Post
Old 3rd June 2019, 10.39:44   #1-0 (permalink)
3pmsaturday
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: MRS
Twitter: @

Default The Wrexham AFC Football Strategy?

Apologies to all if I have missed it but time has come for the club to implement and consider a formal football strategy.

The club does so much right, but glaring failure in this area, arguably behind balancing the books, the most important part of the business, is there for all to see. I havent been engaged as much over the last few years and hardly went to any matches last season due to time and family priorities but I was shocked at the 6 years without a play off place statistic. That as I'm sure you will all agree is a massive failure.

I am surprised none of the trust election candidates mentioned this in their election statements. You dont have to be a football person to suggest that some football people devise it.

I have said before and continue to promote a role within the club of a director of football. My argument is always, you wouldn't run and electrical company without anyone who knew about electrics....Football club should be no different. The football direction should not be at the behest of a historically volatile or temporary manager position.

My feeling is the Club Board have done a great job in their managerial appointments, too good in fact, however, we need a overall macro strategy.

I would advocate a paid position on a part time basis. Someone to produce a framework for success throughout the clubs footballing operations. This may be from youth, scouting, facilities and personnel.

Now its easy to say outside investment, would do it and there is no coincidence that the more money you spend the more success you have as a club, Salford is testament to that. It is also true though that funds need to be channelled and used correctly. Look at our pre season friendly rivals Stoke. Massive spending but the wrong personnel and a miserable 16th in the Championship. For the avoidance of doubt I am 100% behind the WST ownership model but advocate a tweek in this area.

So Implementation? Why I mentioned the trust board is that they control the Operational (Club) board. This is the extract that deals with strategy:

7. Strategy
7.1 It is the role of the Trust Board to set the strategy and objectives of the Club communicated with the members and the Operational Board.
7.2 It is recommended that Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) are used to reflect the strategic objectives and measure progress in these identified areas.
7.3 KPIs should cover a range of areas, with some relating to the day to day operation of the Club, therefore they are likely to be managed by the Operational Board.
7.4 Progress of KPIs should be monitored by the Trust Board and performance should be reported to the membership at the AGM [, and as part of the half yearly/three times annually report].
7.5 The Trust Board and Operational board should aim to meet at least once a year to discuss KPIs and strategy.

Strategy and Objectives should be to play football at the highest level whilst securing the longterm future etc as detailed in the Trust Objectives. Perhaps these Objectives require updating to reflect the requirement of most of us for something to cheer....

COYR..