View Single Post
Old 3rd June 2019, 20.37:04   #21-0 (permalink)
Colomiers Phoenix
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot:
Twitter: @

Default Re: The Wrexham AFC Football Strategy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
The strategy needs to think outside the box and capitalise on the opportunities that are almost unique to us compared to other clubs of our size:

1. We have the potential to be a provincial club across North Wales and not just a town club. Few other clubs have this potential. I would look at all ways of doing this, even perhaps changing the name to Wrexham and North Wales FC (Wrexham NW).

2. We have significant Polish and Portuguese (and other ) populations. Again everything should be on the table in terms of linking the club with the different nationalities in the locality.

The WST Board elections need candidates to think "big" and think about an entirely new approach to how the club can grow, but sadly all the candidate statements are very depressing.
I'm to be convinced about point 1, but for me point 2 is an absolute no brainer ! I would suggest that the majority of our new résidents are from places where football s the number one sport. They need to be engaged to integrate them into the club and demonstrate to them that it is a place where all are welcome and their talents can help us.

In addition I don't think that too many on here, Foxy excepted, realise that strategy is a long term view. For me I truly believe that our strategy should be based upon the development of our youth set up. I feel that we need to seek out companies who will invest in/pay for our youth development over the medium term. Not just having their company logo on the shirts but to pay for the coaching, scouting etc. It should be for at least a five year contract - with the attraction to the company that they get an agreed percentage of any fees which we get when a "developed" youngster is sold on.