View Single Post
Old 13th June 2019, 06.01:31   #443-0 (permalink)
Blazes
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: MRS
Twitter: @

Default Re: New (and old) RP'ers Introduce Yourselves...

This has been a great thread.
My first game was at Easter 1950, playing Lincoln. Billy Tunnicliffe, outside left, scored. Been absolutely hooked ever since, even though have suffered from the Welsh syndrome of "heroic defeat" all too often.
Since I left Llangollen for Canada (Victoria BC) in 1965, my most vivid memories are of games in the 1950s. I was in the 34,500 who packed the Racecourse for Man U in 1957. We almost scored in the first minute. But, soon after, Man U began passing at will. Albert Parker tried a shot from the half-way line. Almost beat the Man U keeper (Wood?). Tommy Taylor back-heeled a goal ....

As a teenager I was used to seeing 7,000 gates as normal. How times have changed, though this past season was brilliant for "gates'.

Best player memories: Ken Barnes, Gren Jones, Alan Fox, Aly McGowan, Ron Hewitt, Arfon Griffiths, Rolando Ugolini, Don Weston.

Alas, I only get to see occasional matches when I return from Canada. Saw the Eastleigh game...another heroic defeat. We get used to it.
Or, as my father used to say, after witnessing yet another home defeat, "never again".

But he was always there for the next home game!!