View Single Post
Old 11th July 2019, 10.42:24   #140-0 (permalink)
red under the bed
Club Captain

Racecourse Spot: Mold Road
Twitter: @

Default Re: Portimonense Reaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolly dagger View Post
Seems to be a bit of confusion about the system. Don't know what system we were playing before they scored because, frankly, i was watching them more than us. Real eye opener. No surprise when they did score.

After they scored we had a line of 5 at the back. I thought that this was sensible because if the worst came to the worst we could always throw bodies at it. Redmond (seems good) sat deeper to help Jennings and we had Oswell up front and Grant kind of floating (he takes up good positions) although he was having to drop back to help. Whether this was by design or circumstances I don't know but it was not 343. We did play 3 up front for most of the second half though ( the team was a bit more confident by then).

The good thing was that the team didn't buckle (it really looked at one point that it would be a damage limitation job to avoid embarrassment). We didn't concede for the next 15 minutes or so and then out of nowhere we hit the bar which brings us back to Grant. Asset or problem?

Although his shot didn't go in it seemed to give the team a bit of confidence and belief. We started mounting attacks, hit the post, won a few free kicks and corners and saw the half out well. The really positive thing about it is that we did not resort to the hoof. We took a leaf out of their book and passed it around, although it has to be said the pitch was like a bowling green which did encourage passing.

From the time that Grant hit the bar until the final whistle there was not that much between the teams which is incredible when you look at the first 15 minutes. Yes it was a friendly but it was also an excellent performance by the team which was a nice surprise.

What does this game mean for the season ahead? Well, absolutely nothing if we don't persist with this way of playing. However, after that performance both the players and staff will be much more confident about what is to come and rightly so.

Just a couple of niggles (nothing is ever absolutely perfect in this imperfect world ). The kit. It was flourescent, hi viz and not easy on the eye - we looked like motorway maintenance workers. Dibble's non stop shouting - it was embarrassing. He needs to tone it down. The portimonense fans were pissing themselves laughing ("he saves with his mouth" and other stuff).

Minor stuff though. It was a great day out and a very enjoyable game. Congratulations to whoever organised it and great choice of opposition. Can we do it again next year?
Very much how I saw it...First 15 it looked as if opposition may score each time they went forward...After Grant hit the bar we worked very hard and even better passed the ball equally well...Lots of movement and work off the ball too.
Redmond worked the channels...Harris not afraid to shoot on sight...Jennings did well getting forward...Summerfield also very good first half...All played well though...Defence held a very good line and alternated between 3 or 5 at back..

It will upset all the moaners but Grant and Rutherford both had good games and arguably best on the day..It will annoy the moaners even more that hundreds of fans had a great few days in the sun ...with family, mates, partners....
I was encouraged by the performance, looked like trying to play football again against a technically very good side....
Good trip ...Also, coaches laid on for travel to the game was appreciated....
Up the Town !...aye