Thread: RIP Alan Eden
View Single Post
Old 19th July 2019, 08.09:15   #9-0 (permalink)
Shropshire Red
First Teamer

Racecourse Spot:
Twitter: @

Default Re: RIP Alan Eden

What sad news.

Alan travelled with us in the late 80 and 90s to both Wrexham and Wales matches.

One great memory of mine was when we travelled in two cars to Amsterdam to watch Wales playing in the old Olympic Stadium against the great Dutch side of the late 80s.

It was the game that Alan Knill made his one and only appearance for Wales, and produced probably Neville Southall's best ever performance for Wales, keeping out the Dutch ntil late on when Ruud Gullit popped up to score the only goal.

On the way back we headed for the port at Dunkerque, I led the way, but missed the turning to the port. Those behind saw it and in my mirror I saw 'v' signs from the occupants who were in fits of laughter!

I headed for the next junction to turn back to the port. Once arriving at the port we went through the ticket booths and then through customs, but not without noticing the occupants of Alaln's car all stood outside it watching the car being emptied of all its baggage, much to the amusement of those in my car and obligatory 'v' signs in return!!!

We later found out that they were asked by the customs where they had been, 'Amsterdam' they then took a look in the boot and the first bag that they opened was Alan's. He was a diabetic who injected his insulin, and when they opened his bag they found a load of needles!!! hence the car being emptied of everything!!

Great memories.

RIP Alan