Thread: Formation
View Single Post
Old 15th September 2019, 07.03:41   #6-0 (permalink)
BertieDragon
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: Mold Road

Default Re: Formation

I posted this on the pre match thread yesterday: -

IMHO no chance of winning if we line up 4-2-3-1 again as clearly the players have no idea how to make the system work. This is probably as a result of the coaches not having a clue either.

I would bring Lawlor back in for Chambers (not that Chambers has done much wrong, but Lawlor is better and it means Pearson reverts to the left side). Also if Hooper is fit he must play.

For me a straightforward 4-4-2 is the best system for these players.

Dibble

Carrington Lawlor** Pearson Jennings

Grant Barton Summerfield Tollitt

Harris Hooper

My team and formation wins 3-1 BH's formation loses 1-2 no matter the personnel

So my score prediction was wrong and i'm glad we got a point, but I don't think anyone would say we really deserved it.

4-2-3-1 is just too complicated for players at this level who don't have the class to make it work. Out of possession we leave gaps all over the field that are so easy to exploit. In possession, the players cant react fast enough to offer us anymore than the long ball option. With 4-2-3-1 you play through teams, we don't, we lump it to an isolated forward who either can't hold it up (all options bar Hooper) or who hold it but can't link play as the supporting players are out of position.

For the last three home league games Barnet Stockport & Maidenhead have set up 4-1-4-1. Each team has had a player in the 'defensive' 1 position who has controlled the game. The number 4 yesterday was in this role, breaking up our attack and playing short passes to bring the midfield 4 into play.

Not sure we have that player in our squad and we need better combinations up front, hence my 4-4-2.

I don't think we have the worst players / squad in the league. We do have the worst coaching set up imposing a ridiculous set up on the team.

Years ago, Palace were bottom of the championship at Xmas and got promoted. Not saying I want Ian Dowie at the club - just saying the season is not over yet if we act swiftly.

Last edited by BertieDragon; 15th September 2019 at 07.04:48..