View Single Post
Old 8th October 2019, 12.44:31   #63-0 (permalink)
Ooh aah Paskin
retired & running a pub

Racecourse Spot: MRS, ex-kopite
Twitter: @

Default Re: Keates Interview

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayred View Post
RP has become a snake pit and home to an unbalanced discourse IMO.
Why the deep and bitter loathing of Keates? Hadn’t he got us into a playoff position? That’s why Walsall came calling. Ditto with Ricketts and Shrewsbury. How are these examples of constantly running a defective manager selection process. OK, you can quote the opaque BH selection and other blips but let’s have some balance. And resorting to denigrating Dixie, just as another legend Arfon has been in the past on these pages, because they worked with the Board, is out of order in my book.

Barrow, Newell, Hughes....? I agree Ricketts was a good choice but depending on the version of events you follow, was not given free rein to bring in his own team which is not good. You sort of answer your first question about Keates when saying 'hadn't he got us into a play off position?' Yes he did, then left with 8 games to go. That is probably why posters have an issue. Haven't seen anyone denigrating Dixie, most feel sorry for him.
Re Keates, if anyone was offered a doubling/tripling of wage/salary, would they not take it. Turning down the opportunity to progress professionally and refusing the money would be irrational. The only thing which might make a difference would be family factors. Did the Cowleys turn down Lincoln, and then Huddersfield? Did any manager turn down such opportunities? Would we?
Fair Point, I agree it was too good an offer for him to turn down. But at that crucial stage, the board should be saying no to any approaches until after the season end.
I haven’t got time to micromonitor what the Board does. And maybe I am missing something on the relationship between the Board and the Trust. However, I take the long view. What I know is that pre-2011, the Trust over a long period had the sense to raise and save half a million pounds in anticipation of a supporters’ take-over. Without the Trust’s foresight there would be no Club.

No-one is doubting this, or even questioning it. The issues with the 'current' board have nothing whatsoever to do with this IMO.

I know also that the Trust guided us through a hugely complex take-over and transition as a result of a collection of hugely competent individuals giving their time and range of expertise for free; and that since 2011, the club with the financial support of the Trust membership, has been put onto a viable and sustainable commercial footing. And this without the huge subsidies that the local Mr Bigs (some business men are genuine and caring of their clubs but there are many chancers) or the Class of 92. Those business men subsidies are simply not available to us. Look next door to Chester to see the counter scenario with both failed private and supporter ownership ownership.

The club has been put on a sustainable footing, and that is commendable. However, it has grown stagnant now it is clear we have gone as far as we can without any external investment. It is the apparent refusal to consider this move that is irking many people. And looking at the league as a whole, I would say there are far more trustworthy private owners out there than charlatans. No-one is saying accept the first offer that comes along, but just CONSIDER offers..

As for on the pitch this season, look at what happens when a more attacking approach coincides with two (GK, CF) out of three key players (GK, CF, CB) being long term injured.

I'm sorry, but you need more than three key players to be successful IMO. I would say at least 16.

I am one of these who don’t like the abuse on here nor the foul-mouthed chanting from the terraces, at its worst when we had a thousand kids in for the Sutton game. Keep the vile one-liner abuse off-line

Totally agree on the vile and personal abuse. But protesting done well has its merits.
Just a few of my thoughts, to spark reasoned debate?