View Single Post
Old 10th November 2019, 16.01:31   #6-0 (permalink)
Red Light
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: none given
Twitter: @

Default Re: Security at games

No complaints - they are doing as instructed.
The alternative would be far more police inside the stadium - which would cost an absolute arm and a leg in comparison.

Today got into the University Tech end early as I always do - for the first time a line of 13 security staff cordond off the last block of seats nearest the away support in the Yale Stand.
Despite us being in totally separate stands was this action necessary ?
it hasn't happened before in that corner and it didn't happen when we played against Stockport who brought double the number of fans and occupied the lower tier. My feedback was that this was done due to missiles and coins being thrown across the corner between fans.
I observed the crowd assembling - many of those who normally assemble in the end block gathered in the next block - the downside of this was that many regulars were displaced from their usual seats - but the real downside was closing the stairway down - this resulted in everyone from the two blocks nearest the away fans ALL having to use the one stairway and crossing infront of the second block of seats - the stairway was jam packed with two lines of supporters trying to go down the steps whilst others carrying food and hot drinks struggling up the stairs coming the other way in direct conflict with them - suggestions of opening the stairway between the first and second block were not accepted - all it would have required was the relocation of a steward or two onto the stairs to stop supporters coming back up the stairs and gaining entry to the first sterile block of seats - but alas no.
Some strange decisions made all round - again no pre match communication to the fanbase to inform them what was happening - this may have helped as 10 minutes into the game people were still coming into the stand up the reduced stairways and blocking the view of those already in their seats as they puzzled where to go to.

Again to reiterate, not security staff decisions - they are just doing what is being asked of them.