Thread: Smart goals
View Single Post
Old 29th November 2019, 07.20:21   #6-0 (permalink)
-luke
Legend

Racecourse Spot: none given
Twitter: @

Default Re: Smart goals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
Out of interest, do you think we should have a strategy for trying to improve as a club? Or just throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks? (Haven’t read the goals yet so Luke may well be right on them, but criticising the board simply for setting them seems weird.)

Hi Jaded

I will say that goals are a good thing (i thought it was in my original post buy maybe not, long post and it was late and was wrestling with red passion last night). I am not criticising the board for writing them so can we be very clear about that.

There was a bit of fanfare around these goals. The document clearly took a while to write, I think the creation date on the spreadsheet indicates Spencer started these in August. I am criticising the board for in my opinion (I may be the only one) doing a really poor job on the goals in the time available.

Making a goal out of selling the same or similar number of tickets as last year (in light of performances this may not be so easy next season) or ensuring that sponsorship agreements are in place, or attending supporter group meetings seems a lazy way to approach goal setting. It doesnt stretch anyone, these basically say carry on as you are. We dont need to continue with the status quo, we need to improve.

The most effort has gone into the training ground development goals. To me it feels like this is spencers pet project, his lasting legacy on the club. A better legacy would be promotion. Does anyone else stop and think whether we really need this right now?

Perhaps my criticism is wrong, but from this point I will continue to criticise and make no apology for that. If I am not allowed to criticise for poor football hopefully it is ok to say when I think that operational activities are not up to scratch.

Read the goals. Make your own mind up obviously. I suggest from the page views that not many people have read them.