View Single Post
Old 12th January 2020, 13.28:00   #199-0 (permalink)
'Orrible Ogre
First Teamer

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot:
Twitter: @

Default Re: "Real changes needed within the club" says Pearson

I was reading an article on BBC Sport about Chris Wilder, and it this snippet seems to be a big bit of what we've been missing with Hughes and Keates, I think we were getting there with Ricketts before he left.

**Targeting a return to League Two, Oxford were struggling when Wilder came in.

"Training-wise the intensity increased and there was a lot more of an emphasis on winning. There were always games and there'd be races on a Friday," says James Constable, who was on loan from Shrewsbury Town at the time.

"Everybody wanted to win at everything they were doing and that little tweak in our mentality slowly soaked in. That's how we continued for the rest of the season. I think we only lost a couple of games for the remainder of the year. Unfortunately, we missed out on the play-offs because of a points deduction."

A peripheral figure at his parent club, Constable was signed permanently and became the focal point of the team, scoring 22 goals as Oxford went up through the play-offs. As they established themselves in League Two, Wilder's thoroughness and eye for detail increasingly stood out.

"The analysis with DVDs and clips increased to a level I hadn't been used to before. We were getting a pack on a match day of five or six pages with our set plays and their set plays. Things to think about. Their positives and negatives.

"On the Friday we'd get to see for ourselves what they did on set plays so going out there we'd covered every base. All the excuses were taken away and it was over to us to make sure we carried out what we'd worked on."**

From here https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50866397

Pretty sure there's a few pointers the club could do with out of a little article.