View Single Post
Old 28th March 2020, 07.01:30   #108-0 (permalink)
WrexSi
Cult Hero

Racecourse Spot: Moan Road Stand
Twitter: @

Default Re: Decision on finishing the season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haruki View Post
I’m a huge advocate of finishing this season before you start a new one. Contracts is a minor issue that can be resolved easily by the PFA en masses agreeing to extend all contracts to the new end of season, likewise with loans.
Take as long as it takes for it to be safe to play football again and whatever time is lost is adjusted from future football seasons but at least the required adjustments are known upfront and will be fair to all.
This is the only fair and honourable way to deal with the situation. Scrap the season, end it on current standings, PPG....all of these are grossly unfair to some teams. Not finishing this season will have repercussions that are moaned about for centuries just how Everton fans still moan about Hyseil preventing them playing in Europe. It will be dragged through the courts by clubs who will have lost millions from any other decision than finishing this season and they will have a very valid case as regardless of the extenuating circumstances the league will have chosen the wrong option when they could have played out the games to a natural conclusion.
We are in the minority so I guess we are wrong on balance, and I don’t think it will go this way, but I completely agree with you.

To my mind, contracts can be extended, surely, with a few guidelines for clubs to adhere to.

Complete the current season, no matter when it is that it can recommence.

I would rather complete this season, and have all the promotions, relegations, and deserved champions crowned, than fret too much about starting a Next Season on time etc.

Like I say, not saying I’m right, but as Haruki says the fall out from this season being scrapped will never be forgotten, even though it has been suspended for the biggest of reasons ... it still makes sense to me to finish the season whenever possible, reschedule the following season afterwards.