View Single Post
Old 5th April 2020, 10.06:03   #721-0 (permalink)
Inside Left
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot:
Twitter: @

Default Re: The sad case of a founding members and player of Wrexham Football Club (Massive history thread!)

Refer to old aerial photos as well as those of us who lived through the changes.
There was no entrance to the ground from the side (North) where the Yale Stand is. The boundary was a rickety fence at the back of the Popular covered side of the ground. That fence ran the length of the north boundary. It has been known that occasionally the fence was breached by those who wanted to avoid the entrance fee! (The fence life with ease i places).

The back of the Popular covered terrace was used as an open toilet at half time using the corrugated steel as a urinal (Sorry is this to much detail or is it me romanticising about the Racecourse in the 1950's ) I am sure someone of an age will verify or not.

The only entrance and exit was off Crispin Lane and that gate was improved over the years to that which stood recently. There was a small open air toilet block at the bottom of the kop bank.
Another entrance to the kop was of course just off the driveway at the side of the Turf between the pub and its bowling green, As we know the concrete gateway is still in situ.

As for the 'training ground' in the picture. This field was owned by Denbighshire County Council as part of their Technical College estate. I think it would be in the 1960's ?
That part of the field was offered to the club by the County Council for a car park and to provide access to the new Yale Stand. I think people such as 1926 would be able to add to this 'knowledge'
On part of the land DCC built Yale High School.

A couple of local County Councillors were instrumental in bringing the football club land deal to fruition. Had they lived to see this car park in the ownership of the flat owners they would have been furious.

Last edited by Inside Left; 5th April 2020 at 10.10:44..