View Single Post
Old 15th May 2020, 09.43:34   #61-0 (permalink)
Foxy
Part Time ITV4 Pundit

Racecourse Spot: none given
Twitter: @

Default Re: Will football survive Covid-19?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
With respect foxy could it be you lacking intelligence and common sense in what you just said.

This area has got away lightly so far but in just a matter of weeks there is over700 hundred confirmed cases across Wrexham and Flintshire and over 100 of them are dead.

Considering we have been in lockdown during that time and they only test those admitted to hospital what do you reckon the numbers would be if football, shops
pubs etc were still open and nothing had of been done to stop the spread?
I see your point but your point, but it’s an absolutist point. Using this logic nothing will reopen ever. No football, no schools, no factories, nothing.

Covid will always be around, and we Will have to to judge the risks. The example given by Rob was 1:400. Using this example there is a 400-1 chance of me getting it at the Racecourse; actually much longer odds than that because Rob’s stats are based on a two week sample , so on any one day there would be fewer infected. So perhaps the odds are 600-1 , maybe more. I might catch those odds and get it. There is the. a fair chance that I have no symptoms. The most likely scenario is mild symptoms. The odds on it being severe are very very long.

I know what you will say - I could pass it on to someone else who might become really ill. Well yes, but the overall odds on me getting it and then passing it onto someone else who becomes really ill are extraordinarily long. In fact, 1:400 is probably much less risky for public health than attending a match during an average winter flu season.

As a society we have to move away from absolutism on this and logically balance risks both in terms of public policy making and also individualised choice.

PS - the odds I have given should be even longer , because it assumes the one person in 400 will automatically give it to someone that could be me. What if they wear a face mask ? What if they sit away from anyone (really easy at the racecourse ) or what if I sit away from the crowd ? What if Wrexham play a rip roaring game and come from 2-0 behind to win 3-2 in the last minute and everyone hugs and shouts ? Or much more likely, what if it’s a turgid 1-0 defeat and we all slump quietly into our chairs ?

Last edited by Foxy; 15th May 2020 at 09.48:05..