View Single Post
Old 18th May 2020, 12.16:18   #22-0 (permalink)
henry8
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: mold road
Twitter: @

Default Re: Radical new plans to merge League two and the National League.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixienormous View Post
It will probably never happen, but post covid19 it would make financial sense.

https://fanbanter.co.uk/radical-plan...tional-league/
It is a 'fans banter site' it quotes according to sources It does not reference who or where the said 'sources' are.
I agree that something should be done but I doubt that the EFL clubs will want to water the league down by admitting another 24 clubs into the league. The EFL had to be bribed with financial sweeteners just to allow an extra club up from the Conference via playoffs a few years back.
Another consideration would be the central payments. There would be 24 new clubs to give money to plus 2 extra parachute payments. I believe clubs in L2 get around 500k a season so that would be;

500k x 24 teams = £12m = parachute payments =£13m per season. There is talk of cutting the central payments due to the Covid 19 situation so where would the extra £13m per year season?
I really doubt the clubs already playing at L2 level would fancy spreading their money out between 48 clubs instead of 24.
Much more likely that Leagues 1 and 2 will merge then split into North and South. Even then the League one clubs will be up in arms because they get more than the League 2 clubs so how would they address this?.
It is more likely that the National league will be regionalised North and South because there is no central payments to worry about and thus less falling out over it.