View Single Post
Old 23rd June 2020, 17.10:02   #27-0 (permalink)
138+NotOut
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: MRS - Mold End or ERS Central
Twitter: @

Default Re: Your ideal squad next season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Light View Post
Lots of issues here.

People continue to talk about a 'next season' - will there actually be one ? probably but not necessarily commencing next season in the traditional sense.

Player budget - how can a club (not just us) contemplate bringing in players on either fees and wages when we have no real income and don't even have a date when income can commence ?
No season ticket sales to get the club through summer, no early bird option - and my prediction is that even when they commence there will be a shocking drop in numbers compared to previous years - partly through dissalusionment but partly because many supporters especially the elderly and for health fears wont set foot in the stadium - a play it safe approach.

As for putting a squad together my prediction is that clubs will play the ultra cautious card and cut back on numbers dramatically. What is the point in building a large squad of better quality players on high wages when we have no prospect of a resumption date.

And I hate to say it but I will anyway - today Boris Johnson is easing restrictions based on the number of deaths and infections dropping - but the virus hasn't gone away and wont until the masses are vaccinated - the chance of another spike are high especially as we approach winter - with many people spending much time outdoor in the fine weather and long daylight hours what will happen in December when we are all couped up together ?

What are the chances of another season starting and even being completed ?
Personally I don't see any change in the situation other than infections have currently dropped in numbers - for now. Like many things in life people will become complacent and forget - human nature kicks in and bang - we could be back to an even more catastrophic 'square one'. A balance has to be struck to keep the economy going and to safeguard jobs - assembling a football squad of quality at Wrexham is a bit of a pipedream.

Similar to gyms, leisure facilities, sporting arena's and football clubs - the Government will need to make their case before anything realistic can happen - though have a feeling sport and leisure will be last on the pecking order.

This is right.

Clubs at our level are gonna have to play the kids plus whoever they've got under contract unless they can ship em out on a free. Can't believe clubs are signing players unless they're not getting paid until football starts at this level