View Single Post
Old 24th June 2020, 07.39:23   #36-0 (permalink)
petered
Legend

Racecourse Spot: GUS now.
Twitter: @

Default Re: Your ideal squad next season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Light View Post
Lots of issues here.

People continue to talk about a 'next season' - will there actually be one ? probably but not necessarily commencing next season in the traditional sense.

Player budget - how can a club (not just us) contemplate bringing in players on either fees and wages when we have no real income and don't even have a date when income can commence ?
No season ticket sales to get the club through summer, no early bird option - and my prediction is that even when they commence there will be a shocking drop in numbers compared to previous years - partly through dissalusionment but partly because many supporters especially the elderly and for health fears wont set foot in the stadium - a play it safe approach.

As for putting a squad together my prediction is that clubs will play the ultra cautious card and cut back on numbers dramatically. What is the point in building a large squad of better quality players on high wages when we have no prospect of a resumption date.

And I hate to say it but I will anyway - today Boris Johnson is easing restrictions based on the number of deaths and infections dropping - but the virus hasn't gone away and wont until the masses are vaccinated - the chance of another spike are high especially as we approach winter - with many people spending much time outdoor in the fine weather and long daylight hours what will happen in December when we are all couped up together ?

What are the chances of another season starting and even being completed ?
Personally I don't see any change in the situation other than infections have currently dropped in numbers - for now. Like many things in life people will become complacent and forget - human nature kicks in and bang - we could be back to an even more catastrophic 'square one'. A balance has to be struck to keep the economy going and to safeguard jobs - assembling a football squad of quality at Wrexham is a bit of a pipedream.

Similar to gyms, leisure facilities, sporting arena's and football clubs - the Government will need to make their case before anything realistic can happen - though have a feeling sport and leisure will be last on the pecking order.
This , IMO, is an excellent post. I was talking the other day about fans attending ganes and the sale of on line tickets only may be an option. Tickets with designated seats situated minimum 2 or 3 apart. Still leaves the logistical nightmare of ,as you say, toilets,snack bar etc . Its certainly a challenge. BTW, I do think this hospitality return is far too soon. Convinced they are making it up as they go along.