View Single Post
Old 31st July 2020, 14.47:18   #72-0 (permalink)
michaelps
Legend

Racecourse Spot:
Twitter: @mikesutto

Default Re: October 3rd start ?

With all the posts about the board meetings and trust shenanigans it's worth noting Johnson's announcements at midday today I think. In among all the stuff about the Greater Manchester semi lockdown it was announced the trial sporting events (Goodwood races, snooker and Surrey/Middlesex cricket) can no longer take place with crowds.

It was also said by Chris Whitty the chief medical officer that we are at the outer limit of how much can/will stay open in society. IE: that the next moves now (as in Manchester area) will be to impose more restrictions not open up more stuff.

Of course there is also the separate issue about the different tighter limits and rules in Wales to England.

But Johnson's statement today stopping spectators attending trial events makes it clear we are not going to be having football with crowds in place any time soon in England let alone Wales.

This is very bad news for all clubs outside the Premiership and maybe Championship who need gate money to survive.

I don't think we can underestimate how important this is and how worrying it is. After this announcement I wouldn't bet a penny piece on the season starting on 3rd October.