View Single Post
Old 15th September 2020, 10.15:09   #809-0 (permalink)
eastsussexred
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: none given
Twitter: @

Default Re: The sad case of a founding members and player of Wrexham Football Club (Massive history thread!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastsussexred View Post
This is something that will probably not be of interest to a lot of people, but as The Turf Hotel has been so intrinsically linked to The Racecourse and Wrexham AFC, I have been recording the names of the landlords, during my research.
I am pretty sure that there has not been a comprehensive list of the landlords published online before, or else I would have found it.

List of known Turf Tavern/Hotel Landlords/ladies up to 1942

Date of construction- late 1790's- to be confirmed.

Joseph and Margaret Foulkes - 1819
Mr Evans - 1825/26/28
John Tench - 1833-1849
Sarah Tench (widow) - 1849-1853
JohnWhittaker - 1853/1861.
John Whittaker had served in The Wrexham Yeomanry Cavalry and was also a member of Wrexham Cricket Club. He is also known to have established athletic sports events on The Racecourse, at least as far back as 1857, and appears to have been heavily involved in bringing horse racing back to the course after the races had been abandoned in 1858.
Arthur Hanmer - 1861-1864
Thomas Hanmer (Snr) - 1864-1875 (His son Thomas Hanmer (Jnr) was one of the 10 man team who played in WFAC’s first ever game. He also supplied The silver Hanmer Cup for the club’s annual Athletic Sports Event)
Martha Hanmer (Widow) - 1874-1884 (wife of the late Thomas Hanmer Snr)
Frederick George Fraser -1890 (Husband of Rosina Hanmer- the daughter of Thomas-Snr and Martha)
Rosina (Hanmer) Fraser (widow)-1891-1898
John James Lloyd -1898-1900 (this landlord was sometimes confused in local newspapers with John James (Jack) Scott of The Severn Stars, and while ‘Jack’ Scott was associated with the Wrexham Races and pigeon shooting on the Racecourse in the 1890’s, he doesn’t appear to have ever been the landlord of The Turf Hotel.)
Robert Durwood 1900
William .C. Harrison -1903-1920 (Former Wrexham Player and Welsh International).
Harry Foster -1922 (Father of Wrexham FC player Bert Foster- who died of pneumonia at The Turf Hotel in September 1922)
Charles Edward Hickman 1927-1928
Alfred Maddock 1933-1935
David Aitken -1939
Tommy Percival Griffiths -1939-1940 (previous Welsh International and player/coach for Wrexham FC; also played for Everton, Bolton, Middlesbrough and Aston Villa)
Robert Kett -1942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canary View Post
I believe William Clare Harrison was club chairman at the time of his death. He once fell off the roof of a stand at the Racecourse while trying to effect repairs.
I am not sure if you are aware Canary, but William Clare Harrison was actually born in Portsmouth, but an error in the reading of his register as a footballer was incorrectly read as Portmadoc; hence, his eligibility to play for Wales: at least that is what was recorded in the press after his death (as attached).

Wiki has his place of birth as Ireland
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willia...lsh_footballer)

but he was definitely born in Portsmouth in Hampshire in 1872, as recorded in the birth register on Ancestry and FamilySearch, as well as recorded on all subsequent census records.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg William Clare Harrison born in Portsmouth.jpg (70.8 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by eastsussexred; 15th September 2020 at 10.25:38..