Thread: Racecourse
View Single Post
Old 21st November 2020, 23.59:44   #138-0 (permalink)
eastsussex
First Teamer

Racecourse Spot:
Twitter: @

Default Re: Racecourse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inside Left View Post
I see you have undertaken a really good study of the maps and fees. I mentioned it as today i was looking up the Gwersyllt area for tithes. I then drifted towards town and onto the Racecourse, Turf, then parts of the town centre. The social history of our town is really interesting.
Its amazing how in living memory the church demanded tithes from people. Many refused, including an uncle of mine who, as a chapel man, took on church - and won.
Good for him Inside Left.

In the 1830’s register, John Tench was not paying tithe fees for The Turf Tavern/Grandstand or the garden in question, although he was still paying a tithe fee of £2-1shilling and 5d to Sir W.W. Wynn for a field on the opposite side of Mold Road from Glyndwr University, and he was also paying a tithe fee of £4- 2shillings to W.W. for the rest of The Racecourse.
As you know, these fees were traditionally paid to the vicar of Wrexham, but landowners frequently bought the tithe rights from the church.
Some tenants in Stansty were still paying tithes to both the landowners and the church in that register from the 1830’s.

The actual Turf Tavern Garden on The Racecourse side of Crispin Lane (not the quadrant shaped field 700 on the map) was bought for 3s 7d a yard by a Mr Little from Liverpool after Benjamin Piercy died in 1892. This was the piece of land where the bowling green was later built. He also bought the plot of land where the charity shop is located for 1s 10d a yard.
Attachment one shows the sale of Benjamin Piercy’s estate and the second attachment shows The Turf Tavern garden and gives a better understanding of how the junction at Crispin Lane was formed in 1878. It also gives details of how The Turf Hotel was formed from two distinct public houses.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1892 estate of Benjamin Piercy sold Turf Tavern Garden.jpg (91.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 1874 Turf Hotel..jpg (180.9 KB, 18 views)