Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham


Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/


Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19th April 2021, 10.54:51   #928-0 (permalink)
First Teamer


 
Joined: Dec 2014
Racecourse Spot:
Real Name: eastsussexred
Twitter: @





Default Re: The sad case of a founding members and player of Wrexham Football Club (Massive history thread!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonspark View Post
a few of us went across the border for a pint last saturday by train, i noticed what i presumed to be a remnant of wats dyke by the premier inn but elsewhere it seems to be less noticeable especially down crispin lane unless i am looking in the wrong place, there are places where it is more pronounced that i have walked along such as the field leading to Pandy from the bypass, it does just look like a field bondary until you realise it is the remnants of the dyke, again in the fields by the river Alyn looking towards the Bryn Alyn hillfort it can be seen clearly, at Errdig it is again quite clear and forms part of the defences of the motte and bailey castle, which may also have been an earlier celtic hillfort, in the fields from Erddig towards Ruabon it is also quite obvious particularly where the road cuts through it right by a farm, i suppose because of the development of Wrexham large parts of the dyke are now lost
Yes, I agree. You wont find the ditch on Crispin Lane nowaday, DP, except for a tiny indent in the bushes of the embankment opposite the university block, as per my previous post, which archaeologists surveyed years ago.
The silted up ditch was used as a pathway until the end of the 19th Century, and it was this pathway that was shown as 'Crid Pler Lane' on the map previously posted (1840's) on my earlier post, although all maps prior to this date show the dyke in the same location. This was the original Crispin Lane that had traditionally been used by locals, prior to the introduction of the railways, when the area started to change.
Palmer had written about the areas of the ditch that had been grubbed out, from around the 1880's, but the original line of the ditch, which was the original Crid Pler Lane 'muddy shoemakers lane' and now 'Crispin Lane' is now located where the railings are located, as shown on that line on the Google sattelite photo I posted.
The road that we now use as Crispin Lane sort of weaves in and out, over the line of the original ditch/trackway, although it was the silting up of Wat's Dyke ditch, which gave rise to the original Crid Pler Lane/Crispin Lane that was used for eons by locals.

Last edited by eastsussex; 19th April 2021 at 10.59:03..
Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2021, 11.29:46   #929-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial


 
Joined: Jul 2012
Racecourse Spot:
Real Name:
Twitter: @





Default Re: The sad case of a founding members and player of Wrexham Football Club (Massive history thread!)

We have the late Arthur Clarke* and a few local councillors to thank for saving the line of the dyke from New Rd through to Pandy. Developers were ready to build over it. I recall attending the site visit.

At that time in the 1970's those people also highlighted the line of the dyke alongside the railway from Stansty rail bridge through to Bersham Road.

Whilst there is little to no berm to see - the line of the dyke still needs to be retained and marked. Railway clearance has probably done damage as it seems to be done without heritage supervision.

* Arthur was a teacher at St Davids School and he lived in a house backing on to the dyke.

Last edited by Inside Left; 19th April 2021 at 11.32:50..
Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2021, 14.05:33   #930-0 (permalink)
-


 
Joined: Jun 2014
Racecourse Spot: yale stand
Real Name: none given
Twitter: @





Default Re: The sad case of a founding members and player of Wrexham Football Club (Massive history thread!)

just had a look at google maps, from Pandy roughly on the junction of Plas Acton road, the line of the dyke can be seen up to the A483 the reappears just after Ty Gwyn Lane as a linev of trees or shrubs right up to Ysgol Wats dyke, it gets a bit patchy to make out then and thereafter its difficult to make out because of housing and then the railways, just south of Erddig it reappears again as a line of trees/shrubs cuts through a farm and lane on to the B5240 and then on to the A539 when there is possibly a faint line of the dyke and then it seems to be lost in Wynnstay park, from groundworks making a lake i presume
Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2021, 14.26:13   #931-0 (permalink)
Squad Player


 
Joined: Feb 2021
Racecourse Spot: Busfield End
Real Name: none given
Twitter: @





Default Re: The sad case of a founding members and player of Wrexham Football Club (Massive history thread!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasanActonlad View Post
Sir
Thank you so much for this post
One was beginning to think their memory was beginning to play tricks...
I can recall when first moved into the area mid 60s..thinking I can remember a soccer pitch in the area described.
As you entered through the 4 digs gate Sam's milk bar on your left.
I seem to recall some ministry of pension houses on your right (similar to others around the park) and a vague memory of a soccer pitch behind them..
The bottom goal would be parrarell to the sandway road/acton gate junction on Chester rd..
First time I've seen anyone also mention it
Thank you
Hi WasanActonlad: This area was our playground back in the day. Apart from the marked out soccer pitch, there was also a quarry like excavation, memory of it is about 50m diameter (possibly another ice-age kettle-Hole remnant) that was known as the "The Valley" which was close to the old council houses and accessed through a gap in the hedge at the Neville Crescent dead end cul-de-sac. I have never seen any reference to this area other than appearing on one old ordnance map indicated by a circle of dashes.

Last edited by Bobo99; 19th April 2021 at 14.27:19..
Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2021, 14.49:23   #932-0 (permalink)
Squad Player


 
Joined: Feb 2021
Racecourse Spot: Busfield End
Real Name: none given
Twitter: @





Default Re: The sad case of a founding members and player of Wrexham Football Club (Massive history thread!)

The Witches Pool still exists, if you use google street view, it is adjacent to 15 Grosvenor gardens off Gerald Street, Rhosddu, aligning with the back of the Kop. Attached are 2 news articles from "Cheshire Live" in 2013 with local residents trying to save the pool from building development. I find it hard to believe I new nothing of it, it's a stones throw from the railway station.
https://www.cheshire-live.co.uk/news...s-pool-5291281
https://www.cheshire-live.co.uk/news...l-plan-5286397
Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2021, 15.10:55   #933-0 (permalink)
Legend


 
Joined: Feb 2012
Racecourse Spot: none given
Real Name: none given
Twitter: @





Default Re: The sad case of a founding members and player of Wrexham Football Club (Massive history thread!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo99 View Post
Hi WasanActonlad: This area was our playground back in the day. Apart from the marked out soccer pitch, there was also a quarry like excavation, memory of it is about 50m diameter (possibly another ice-age kettle-Hole remnant) that was known as the "The Valley" which was close to the old council houses and accessed through a gap in the hedge at the Neville Crescent dead end cul-de-sac. I have never seen any reference to this area other than appearing on one old ordnance map indicated by a circle of dashes.

Re the quarry....I think that is still there.. though now grassed over...
Coming through said gap you now come through into a series of garages on derwent close/crescent.
.the quarry would be almost opposite but to the right..
It's probably the reason why there is a gap amongst the houses on Derwent C and st Margaret's way...
My father grew up in the 30s in cilcen grove...the quarry was where they built their nov. Bonfires...
Though had to guard them from the 2 rival gangs from rhosddu and garden village..
Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2021, 16.40:36   #934-0 (permalink)
First Teamer


 
Joined: Dec 2014
Racecourse Spot:
Real Name: eastsussexred
Twitter: @





Default Re: The sad case of a founding members and player of Wrexham Football Club (Massive history thread!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo99 View Post
The Witches Pool still exists, if you use google street view, it is adjacent to 15 Grosvenor gardens off Gerald Street, Rhosddu, aligning with the back of the Kop. Attached are 2 news articles from "Cheshire Live" in 2013 with local residents trying to save the pool from building development. I find it hard to believe I new nothing of it, it's a stones throw from the railway station.
https://www.cheshire-live.co.uk/news...s-pool-5291281
https://www.cheshire-live.co.uk/news...l-plan-5286397
The history of the pool was recorded by Palmer in the 19th Century. The numbers he refers to, are the numbers on the 1844 map that I posted a few posts back.
" Having followed the line of Regent Street, and reached the township bounds, we now cross the road and describe the other side. All the fields marked in the map by the numbers 355-360 as well as 348, 351 and 350, formed with No's 341-3 on the opposite side of the road, an area, once a common field, or two common fields, called Pwll y Wrach or 'the hags pool' the latter being the name of the pool which still exists, and is situated in the middle of the area. Of this area, the closes numbered 359 and 360 belonged in 1844 to the Acton Estate, and at an earlier date apparently 350 also, which in 1844 was owned by Miss Emma Foulkes.
In 1620, John Jeffreys of Acton is described as holding various parcels in Pwll y wrach. In 1844, No's 355 and 357 belonged to the vicar of the Parish who had recently sold 356 to the Railway Company. According to the Rate Books this glebe land in Pwll y wrach was obtained by exchange from Mrs Puleston of Hafod y wern towards the end of the 18th Century, but what lands were surrendered in place of it, I do not know. The Hafod y wern eastate, however, still held No's 350 and 348 in Pwll y wrach, but these were ultimately, sold as well to Miss Potts of Chester. It was through No's 348 and 361 that Grosvenor Road was laid out, sometime around 1869. I believe that Brynhyfryd was the first house built in it, and Dr Drinkwater's house opposite was the second
All the land between Pwll y wrach and the inhabited portion of old Hope Street was bought a little before 1824 by Thomas Griffith (surgeon) and a great part of it still belongs to his grandson, the Rev Llewelyn Griffiths of Deal"


The mention of Mrs Puleston above is one of the reasons why I believe that the Puleston's may have originally built the house known as The Crispin, off Crispin Lane, in the early 17th Century (as I have previously posted).
The Crispin had been owned by the Ambrose Lewis family since at least 1704 but one of the Lewis daughters married a Puleston and they moved to the house known as Pwll yr Uwdd/Spring Lodge (as previously mentioned) which the Pulestons had also owned; and so there seems to be a number of connections between the Pulestons and the Ambrose Lewis family, which go back a long way.

Last edited by eastsussex; 19th April 2021 at 16.53:02..
Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2021, 03.04:07   #935-0 (permalink)
Squad Player


 
Joined: Feb 2021
Racecourse Spot: Busfield End
Real Name: none given
Twitter: @





Default Re: The sad case of a founding members and player of Wrexham Football Club (Massive history thread!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasanActonlad View Post
Re the quarry....I think that is still there.. though now grassed over...
Coming through said gap you now come through into a series of garages on derwent close/crescent.
.the quarry would be almost opposite but to the right..
It's probably the reason why there is a gap amongst the houses on Derwent C and st Margaret's way...
My father grew up in the 30s in cilcen grove...the quarry was where they built their nov. Bonfires...
Though had to guard them from the 2 rival gangs from rhosddu and garden village..
As you mentioned earlier, i'm also glad someone else can recall the areas features from bygones. I can vaguely recall this bonfire mid 60's and sometimes being set alight prior to Guy Fawkes by neighbouring tribes, there was also a Bonfire by the old Acton hall foundations. Oh what fun health-n-safety would have these days.
I've found the map of Acton showing the Quarry, but don't know how to attach a URL HTTP image from my PC. If the map was a bit more northerly it would show detail of the farm land between Neville Crescent and the 4 dogs entrance.
Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2021, 03.29:45   #936-0 (permalink)
Squad Player


 
Joined: Feb 2021
Racecourse Spot: Busfield End
Real Name: none given
Twitter: @





Default Re: The sad case of a founding members and player of Wrexham Football Club (Massive history thread!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastsussex View Post
The history of the pool was recorded by Palmer in the 19th Century. The numbers he refers to, are the numbers on the 1844 map that I posted a few posts back.
" Having followed the line of Regent Street, and reached the township bounds, we now cross the road and describe the other side. All the fields marked in the map by the numbers 355-360 as well as 348, 351 and 350, formed with No's 341-3 on the opposite side of the road, an area, once a common field, or two common fields, called Pwll y Wrach or 'the hags pool' the latter being the name of the pool which still exists, and is situated in the middle of the area. Of this area, the closes numbered 359 and 360 belonged in 1844 to the Acton Estate, and at an earlier date apparently 350 also, which in 1844 was owned by Miss Emma Foulkes.
In 1620, John Jeffreys of Acton is described as holding various parcels in Pwll y wrach. In 1844, No's 355 and 357 belonged to the vicar of the Parish who had recently sold 356 to the Railway Company. According to the Rate Books this glebe land in Pwll y wrach was obtained by exchange from Mrs Puleston of Hafod y wern towards the end of the 18th Century, but what lands were surrendered in place of it, I do not know. The Hafod y wern eastate, however, still held No's 350 and 348 in Pwll y wrach, but these were ultimately, sold as well to Miss Potts of Chester. It was through No's 348 and 361 that Grosvenor Road was laid out, sometime around 1869. I believe that Brynhyfryd was the first house built in it, and Dr Drinkwater's house opposite was the second
All the land between Pwll y wrach and the inhabited portion of old Hope Street was bought a little before 1824 by Thomas Griffith (surgeon) and a great part of it still belongs to his grandson, the Rev Llewelyn Griffiths of Deal"


The mention of Mrs Puleston above is one of the reasons why I believe that the Puleston's may have originally built the house known as The Crispin, off Crispin Lane, in the early 17th Century (as I have previously posted).
The Crispin had been owned by the Ambrose Lewis family since at least 1704 but one of the Lewis daughters married a Puleston and they moved to the house known as Pwll yr Uwdd/Spring Lodge (as previously mentioned) which the Pulestons had also owned; and so there seems to be a number of connections between the Pulestons and the Ambrose Lewis family, which go back a long way.
It's a great pity schools didn't teach us much about local history. All I recall is spending far too long learning about the outcome of WW1 and the league of Nations.
Something i've noticed when reading your excellent research is the verbal similarity of the words "Crispin Lane" and "Crydd Pler Lane", is their any possibility they are the same place and Crispen Lane is anglicised?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools



Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |





Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.


Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark



All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 01.59:00.
Powered by vBulletin® & Wrex the Dragons fiery breath

RedPassion.co.uk : World Famous in Wrexham



SEO by vBSEO 3.3.0 ©2009, Crawlability, Inc.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12