Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham


Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/


Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 6th March 2016, 11.26:20   #109-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges
 
jonesfach's Avatar

 
Joined: Oct 2004
Racecourse Spot: Any spare seat
Real Name: Jones
Twitter: @





Default Re: The sad case of a founding members and player of Wrexham Football Club

The Wales v Scotland bit from 1877 is a great read.

Especially the warm reception given to the scots, yet a complete opposite to one received, against England previously. And what is/was a corner try? Bit later it quotes a corner kick so am guessing they were different things.

I think the pitch orientation turn around may well be put to bed now. Must be a local myth...certainly understanding that the grandstand, was there before the football actually started and not the other way around, makes sense.

I was under the impression that the stand was built specifically for the football and thus the pitch was changed around after the completion of the stand. Makes sense now.

Last edited by jonesfach; 6th March 2016 at 11.30:24..
Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016, 12.23:55   #110-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial
 
eastsussexred's Avatar

 
Joined: Aug 2013
Racecourse Spot: none given
Real Name: none given
Twitter: @





Default Re: The sad case of a founding members and player of Wrexham Football Club

I wonder if we were the first football club in the world to have a stadium with a purpose build grandstand?

Last edited by eastsussexred; 6th March 2016 at 12.25:02..
Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016, 17.06:32   #111-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial
 
eastsussexred's Avatar

 
Joined: Aug 2013
Racecourse Spot: none given
Real Name: none given
Twitter: @





Default Re: The sad case of a founding members and player of Wrexham Football Club

Formation of Wrexham Olympic Football Club.

August 1884

WREXHAM OLYMPIC FOOTBALL CLUB.
A GENERAL MEETING of the above newly-formed club will be held on THURSDAY NEXT, August 21st, at the Buck Inn, Hope-street, at 8 p.m., when all persons desirous of becoming members are respectfully invited to attend. Any gentlemen unable to attend this meeting and wishing ta become members can be enrolled on application to SECRETARIES.
http://newspapers.library.wales/view...0AND%20meeting
Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016, 17.27:40   #112-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial
 
eastsussexred's Avatar

 
Joined: Aug 2013
Racecourse Spot: none given
Real Name: none given
Twitter: @





Default Re: The sad case of a founding members and player of Wrexham Football Club

Another first for the club

Where Wrexham AFC the first ever club to share transfer money with players?

Many years ago the Wrexham Club originated the present formation of three half-backs and five forwards. Previously there had been two half-backs and six forwards. Then, within the memory of many of those present, came the question of sharing the transfer fee with the player. For doing this the Wrexham Club came under the ban of the F.A., but that Association had now adopted the very thing for doing which, a few years ago, they said the Wrexham Club was not a desirable member of their Association.

I WREXHAM FOOTBALL CLUB.|1914-07-17|Llangollen Advertiser Denbighshire Merionethshire and North Wales Journal - Welsh Newspapers Online.

Last edited by eastsussexred; 6th March 2016 at 17.30:28..
Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2016, 19.44:29   #113-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial
 
eastsussexred's Avatar

 
Joined: Aug 2013
Racecourse Spot: none given
Real Name: none given
Twitter: @





Default Re: The sad case of a founding members and player of Wrexham Football Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesfach View Post
The Wales v Scotland bit from 1877 is a great read.

Especially the warm reception given to the scots, yet a complete opposite to one received, against England previously. And what is/was a corner try? Bit later it quotes a corner kick so am guessing they were different things.

I think the pitch orientation turn around may well be put to bed now. Must be a local myth...certainly understanding that the grandstand, was there before the football actually started and not the other way around, makes sense.

I was under the impression that the stand was built specifically for the football and thus the pitch was changed around after the completion of the stand. Makes sense now.

'Most of the changes in the Laws of The Game in the 1860s and 70s concerned what happened when the ball went out of play.
1863
In case the ball goes behind the goal line, if a player on the side to whom the goal belongs first touches the ball, one of his side shall be entitled to a free kick from the goal line at the point opposite the place where the ball shall be touched. If a player of the opposite side first touches the ball, one of his side shall be entitled to a free kick (but at the goal only) from a point 15 yards from the goal line opposite the place where the ball is touched. The opposing side shall stand behind their goal line until he has had his kick.

Notice that the ball 'going behind the goal line' wasn't out of play as such: there was still the matter of getting the touch on it. For the attacking team getting the touch down meant a shot at goal from 15 yards (Some similarities to Rugby here - in early Rugby rules the 'touchdown' or 'try' counted for nothing, but depended on the 'conversion' to a 'goal') . I can only assume that the 11 defenders would line up between the goalposts and just behind the goal line. As the attacking players all had to be behind the ball when it was kicked and that the ball had to be shot directly at goal I imagine that very few goals would have resulted from this process,

1866
Following the February 1866 AGM the FA adopted the Sheffield principle of using secondary scoring to decide matches finishing equal on actual goals:
...if a player of the opposite side first touches the ball after it has gone behind the goal line of his adversary, one 'touch down' shall be scored by his side, and in the event of no goal being got by either side, or an equal number of goals being got on each side, the side obtaining the greater number of 'touches down' shall be the winners of the match.

It was a relatively short lived experiment, the touch down disappearing from the rules altogether following the 1867 AGM, being replaced by a free kick for the defending team to be taken within 6 yards of their goal.

Sheffield, 1868
The corner kick first made an appearance in the revised Sheffield rules of 1868. Having dispensed with rouges (touch downs) Sheffield introduced the following:
When the ball is kicked over the bar of the goal it must be kicked off by the side behind whose goal it went, within 6 yards from the limit of their goal...
when the ball is kicked behind the goal line a player of the opposite side to that which kicked it out shall kick it in from the nearest corner flag...

The 1870 FA rules had when the ball is kicked behind the goal line, it must be kicked off by the side behind whose goal it went, within 6 yards from the limit of their goal.
and in 1872 the FA adopted the 1868 Sheffield rule verbatim'


Based on this, I would say that the 'corner try' rule they were using was the 1866 'touch down' rule above.

http://gottfriedfuchs.blogspot.co.uk...ner-kicks.html

Last edited by eastsussexred; 6th March 2016 at 19.48:18..
Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 10.30:31   #114-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges
 
jonesfach's Avatar

 
Joined: Oct 2004
Racecourse Spot: Any spare seat
Real Name: Jones
Twitter: @





Default Re: The sad case of a founding members and player of Wrexham Football Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastsussexred View Post
Another first for the club

Where Wrexham AFC the first ever club to share transfer money with players?

Many years ago the Wrexham Club originated the present formation of three half-backs and five forwards. Previously there had been two half-backs and six forwards. Then, within the memory of many of those present, came the question of sharing the transfer fee with the player. For doing this the Wrexham Club came under the ban of the F.A., but that Association had now adopted the very thing for doing which, a few years ago, they said the Wrexham Club was not a desirable member of their Association.

I WREXHAM FOOTBALL CLUB.|1914-07-17|Llangollen Advertiser Denbighshire Merionethshire and North Wales Journal - Welsh Newspapers Online.
I noted the heading...Pioneer of reforms. Very apt for where we are today. Living by our means with no reliant on a money bags owner. I know we are not alone but think many more clubs in the future will have to be run in a similar vain. If they don't then some will go to the wall. We have seen Darlington, rushden and Diamonds, Che&&er, Hereford and Kettering all go to the wall recently and reform under fans ownerships.
Are we setting the route yet again?

Sterling work ESR
Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 14.13:47   #115-0 (permalink)
Legend


 
Joined: Feb 2012
Racecourse Spot: none given
Real Name: none given
Twitter: @





Default Re: The sad case of a founding members and player of Wrexham Football Club

For what's it worth..... in early 70's was a programme seller, and the office that was used for dropping the money off and returned unsold programmes was up stairs in a building between (or part of) the turf and old mold road stand. The room was obviously an old changing room re all the hooks around the room.
Its location ties in with where they enter the pitch in the old videos.
The work ESR has done here is not just sterling it is exceptional and warrants (have stated it before !!!) a sub thread off its own.

In the off chat thread you have a separate restaurant thread, in other sport thread you have a separate thread on crusaders and rugby..... there should be in club thread a separate sub section for all historical threads can be kept together.

Do others agree ?
Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 14.28:18   #116-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges
 
jonesfach's Avatar

 
Joined: Oct 2004
Racecourse Spot: Any spare seat
Real Name: Jones
Twitter: @





Default Re: The sad case of a founding members and player of Wrexham Football Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasanActonlad View Post
For what's it worth..... in early 70's was a programme seller, and the office that was used for dropping the money off and returned unsold programmes was up stairs in a building between (or part of) the turf and old mold road stand. The room was obviously an old changing room re all the hooks around the room.
Its location ties in with where they enter the pitch in the old videos.
The work ESR has done here is not just sterling it is exceptional and warrants (have stated it before !!!) a sub thread off its own.

In the off chat thread you have a separate restaurant thread, in other sport thread you have a separate thread on crusaders and rugby..... there should be in club thread a separate sub section for all historical threads can be kept together.

Do others agree ?
Definitely.

Sounds like the old changing rooms the part you were on about. Used until the 40s when the angled stand was built. There were some rooms/Windows under the old Mold road stand am sure of it, but never went inside.
Spent many an hour wandering about, whilst my brother was doing his duty for the reserves, on a Saturday afternoon. Must have sat in every seat in the ground retrieving the occasional football that went out of play.
Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 14.56:59   #117-0 (permalink)
Legend


 
Joined: Feb 2012
Racecourse Spot: none given
Real Name: none given
Twitter: @





Default Re: The sad case of a founding members and player of Wrexham Football Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastsussexred View Post
Formation of Wrexham Olympic Football Club.

August 1884

WREXHAM OLYMPIC FOOTBALL CLUB.
A GENERAL MEETING of the above newly-formed club will be held on THURSDAY NEXT, August 21st, at the Buck Inn, Hope-street, at 8 p.m., when all persons desirous of becoming members are respectfully invited to attend. Any gentlemen unable to attend this meeting and wishing ta become members can be enrolled on application to SECRETARIES.
Advertising|1884-08-16|Wrexham and Denbighshire Advertiser and Cheshire Shropshire and North Wales Register - Welsh Newspapers Online


Remember reading an obituary on young guy who lived in Lorne Street, (only in his 20's) that stated he was a goalkeeper for Wrexham Grosvenor before they merged with Hare and hounds to form Olympic.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools



Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |





Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.


Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark



All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 01.53:30.
Powered by vBulletin® & Wrex the Dragons fiery breath

RedPassion.co.uk : World Famous in Wrexham



SEO by vBSEO 3.3.0 ©2009, Crawlability, Inc.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12