Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14th May 2016, 19.15:56   #163-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: none given
Twitter: @

Default Re: The sad case of a founding members and player of Wrexham Football Club

As I understand, WAFC has listed seasons played by Wrexham Football Club, starting from the 1877–78 season, when the club began playing in competitive fixtures following the founding of the Welsh Cup.

The seasons below are all of the games recorded in the newspaper archives, from our founding match, leading up to the 1877/78 season.

1864/65 season

22nd October 1864; Wrexham Football and Athletic Club 1- 2 Prince of Wales Fire Brigade (10 a side teams at The Racecourse)

25th February 1865; Prince of Wales Fire Brigade v Wrexham Football and Athletic Club (at The Racecourse) won by WFAC, score unknown.

11th March 1865; Wrexham Football and Athletic Club v Prince of Wales Fire Brigade- game arranged for 11th March (weather permitting) score unknown.

1865/66 season.

10th February 1866;-Wrexham Football and Athletic Club v Provincial Insurance Office (at The Racecourse) won by Wrexham FAC, exact date in 1866 and score unknown, although possibly a 16 a side game on this date.

24th February 1866:- Wrexham Football and Athletic Club v Prince of Wales Fire Brigade, at The Racecource Ground won by Wrexham FAC, score not known

10th March 1866:- Wrexham Football and Athletic Club v Prince of Wales Fire Brigade (11 a side teams) at The Racecourse; result unknown, but match was planned for 10th March 1866 (weather permitting).

17th March 1866:- Provincial Insurance Office v Wrexham Football and Athletic Club (at The Racecourse) won by the insurance office, score unknown;

1866/67 season (reported at the end of season club meeting as a dissasterous season, due to very bad weather)

24th November 1866:- Wrexham Football and Athletic Club 0- Provincial Insurance Office 2, at The Racecourse (12 a side teams)

08th December 1866;- Wrexham Football and Athletic Club v Provincial Insurance Office. result unknown but match was planned for 08th December 1866 (weather permitting)

1868/69 season

24th October 1868 Wrexham Football and Athletic Club v Prince of Wales Fire Brigade, at The Racecourse ground. Result unknown but game was advertised to take place on this day.

06th March 1869; Ruabon Grammar School v Wrexham Football Club, at Ruabon, game ended in a draw (WFC made up mostly of Provincial Insurance clerks)

A lack of records in the national newspaper archives from the summer of 1869 to the winter of 1873 means that the 1870/71 and 1871/72 were not recorded

1872/73 season

25th January 1873; Wrexham Football Club v Ruabon Rovers, at The Racecourse, result unknown

15th February 1873; Ruabon Rovers 1 - Wrexham Football Club 0, at Plasmadoc Park (game lasted one and half hours)

15th March 1873; Wrexham Football Club v Chester College, at The Racecourse 'a well contested game that ended in a draw'
(most likely the game that started the fierce rivalry between Wrexham and Chester football teams)
The Wrexham Advertiser reported ' The Chester team in their blue jerseys, which distinguished them from their opponents, contrasted most favourably with the non-descript outfits of the latter. In both cricket and football matches, the Wrexham teams never present a neat and uniform presence.'

1873/74 season

18th October 1873; Wrexham Football Club 1 - Chester College 0, at The Racecourse. (Game abandoned after 20 minutes) Chester played in blue jerseys and caps, although after the bad press of the previous year, [COLOR="Red"]Wrexham Football Club had passed a resolution at their start of season meeting to have their first official colours as 'all white' with a few wearing blue caps.
(The bad relationship between the 2 clubs was futher engrianed when Roger Williams, vice-captain of Wrexham, broke his leg, causing the game to be abandoned.)

01st November 1873; Wrexham Football Club 0 - Ruabon Rovers 0, 16-a-side teams at The Racecourse (match lasted 2 hours)

08th November 1873; Ruabon Rovers 0 - Wrexham Football Club 0, 16-a-side teams, at the vicarage field, Ruabon.

06th December 1873; Wrexham Football Club v Provincial Insurance Company, at The Racecourse. score unknown, but game was advertised to take place on this day.

31st January 1874; Wrexham Football Club 0 - Ruabon Rovers 0, at The Racecourse.

14th February 1874: Ruabon Rovers v Wrexham Football Club, at Ruabon. score unknown but game was advertised to take place on this day.

21st February 1874; Wrexham Football Club 0 - Chester College 0, at The Racecourse, a rough, hard fought game.

01st March 1874; Wrexham Football Club v Chester College, at The Racecourse. result unknown, but game planned for this day

1874/75 season

10th October 1874; Wrexham Football Club v Provincial Insuarance Office. Result not known.

24th October 1874; Ruabon Rovers 1 - Wrexham Football Club 0, at Ruabon.

05th December 1874; Wrexham Football Club v Deva Football Club (Chester) at The Racecourse. Result not known

27th February 1875; Wrexham Football Club v Chester College, at The Racecourse. Result not known

20th March 1875; Plasmadoc 0 - Wrexham Football Club 0, at Plasmadoc Park.

1875/76 season

06th November 1875; National Provincial Bank and Insurance Office 0 - Wrexham Football Club 0, at The Racecourse. Game abandondoned after 1 hour, due to heavy rain.

04th December 1875; Wrexham Football Club 0 - Plasmadoc (Druids) 2, at The Racecourse.

01st January 1876; Ruabon Football Club 0 - Wrexham Football Club 2, at Ruabon.

08th January 1876 Plasmadoc (Druids) 1 - Wrexham Football Club 1, at Plasmadoc Park.

19th January 1876 (Wednesday) Wrexham Football Club v Liverpool, at The Racecourse. Result unknown.

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.c...60115/015/0005

22nd January 1876; Oswestry 0 - Wrexham Football Club 1, at The Racecourse.

1876/77 season

6th October 1876; Wrexham Football Club v Gwersylt, at The Racecourse. Result not known
13th October 1876; Wrexham Footbal Club v Civil Service Club, (cup tie) at The Racecourse. Result not known
20th October 1876; Wrexham Football Club v Northwich, at The Racecourse. Result not known
27th October 1876 Wrexham Football Club v Caernarfon (friendly) at The Racecourse. Result not known.

4th November 1876; Wrexham Football Club 1 - Oswestry Town 0, at The Racecourse. 12-a side teams. 90 minute game.

17th November 1876; Wrexham Football Club 2 - Oswestry, St Oswalds 0, at The Racecourse.

02nd December 1876; Wrexham Football Club 0 - Druids 0, at The Racecourse.

16th December 1876; Wrexham Football Club 3 Oswestry, St Oswalds 0, at The Racecourse.

26th December 1876; (Tuesday) Wrexham Football Club 4 v All Saints (Shrewsbury) 0, at The Racecourse.

06th January 1877; Druids 0 - Wrexham Football Club 0, at Plasmadoc

20th January 1877; Hare and Hounds 1 - Wrexham Football Club 5, at The Racecourse.

27th January 1877; Wrexham Football Club 5 - Mold 0, at The Racecourse

24th February 1877: Wrexham Football Club 3 Hare and Hounds 0, at The Racecourse.

10th March 1877; All Saints (Shrewsbury) 1 Wrexham Football Club 3, at Salop.

17th March 1877; Wrexham Football Club 5 v Caernarfon 0, at The Racecourse.

24th March 1877; Oswestry Town 2 Wrexhaham Football Club 2 at Oswestry

31st March 1877; Wrexham Football Club 6 Mold 0, at The Racecourse.

The success of the 1876/77 season was reported at The Wrexham Football Club end of season Dinner, with the club having won 10, drawn 3 and lost none.

Last edited by eastsussexred; 14th May 2016 at 19.27:35..
Old 14th May 2016, 21.16:32   #164-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

Racecourse Spot: Any spare seat

Default Re: The sad case of a founding members and player of Wrexham Football Club

I wonder which one became the ches&&r club? The deva or college team or none of them?

Great research again ESR.
Old 14th May 2016, 21.42:05   #165-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesfach View Post
I wonder which one became the ches&&r club? The deva or college team or none of them?

Great research again ESR.
a brief google search says that they were formed in 1885 from an ammalgamation of Chester Rovers and Old King's Scholars F.C. whoever they might have been?
Old 14th May 2016, 23.03:34   #166-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: Previously season ticket in the Paddock. Now wherever I can get.

Fascinating stuff there EastSussexRed. I've recently finished my dissertation which is about football in Wrexham from 1860 until 1921 so it's all very interesting to me.
Old 15th May 2016, 01.27:26   #167-0 (permalink)
Legend

If the Vicarige field in Ruabon is the pitch on the right as you go up to the Ruabon high school from the church, could it not lay claim to being the second oldest soccer pitch in Wales.
If one googles local regional papers on the national newspaper archive, there were clubs at Whitchurch and even Whittington, could Wrexham have had fixtures with these clubs in 1860's early 1870's.
Not sure what the local rag for Oswestry was for that period but if WFC were beginning to wander further afield surely (not Shirley) an Oswestry team must have been a fixture, as I believe the original Oswestry club is reputed to have been formed mid 1860's.

Another note of interest , interesting to note who the Liverpool team was in Jan 1876, Everton not formed till 1878, and lfc, came about was it 1890 following an internal row over rents charged by one of their directors on their original ground at Anfield, that left the said director with egg on his face , as Everton moved across Stanley park, so said director formed a new club to play at vacant stadium.

Could there be a possibility that with the number of 15/16 aside games in the early days that Wrexham Football Club may have indulged in the different codes of football, association and rugby, this was not uncommon in that period, ie Burnley, Barnes & Richmond.
Old 15th May 2016, 06.50:19   #168-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasanActonlad View Post
If the Vicarige field in Ruabon is the pitch on the right as you go up to the Ruabon high school from the church, could it not lay claim to being the second oldest soccer pitch in Wales.
If one googles local regional papers on the national newspaper archive, there were clubs at Whitchurch and even Whittington, could Wrexham have had fixtures with these clubs in 1860's early 1870's.
Not sure what the local rag for Oswestry was for that period but if WFC were beginning to wander further afield surely (not Shirley) an Oswestry team must have been a fixture, as I believe the original Oswestry club is reputed to have been formed mid 1860's.

Another note of interest , interesting to note who the Liverpool team was in Jan 1876, Everton not formed till 1878, and lfc, came about was it 1890 following an internal row over rents charged by one of their directors on their original ground at Anfield, that left the said director with egg on his face , as Everton moved across Stanley park, so said director formed a new club to play at vacant stadium.

Could there be a possibility that with the number of 15/16 aside games in the early days that Wrexham Football Club may have indulged in the different codes of football, association and rugby, this was not uncommon in that period, ie Burnley, Barnes & Richmond.
Morning WAL. From memory, there was one reference to Ruabon, which states that the game was played on the field opposite the vicarage, and so it could be the pitch that you mention, although it is my understanding that in the early years, many pitches were just multi use fields that a football team played on. There are reports of Wrexham Football club complaining that the team had to get changed behind a tree in the rain at some games, and so the facilities might not have been too advanced for some teams at the start. No doubt, WFAC would have played against other teams than I have quoted above, but I have only added the games that were advertised or reported in the newspapers that have been scanned into the national archives. I presume that the first few seasons there are newspapers reports of games that were either lost or not scanned into the archives, for whatever reason. There were quite a few scratch games amongst club members (some with prizes awarded) over the years reported in the newspapers for seasons between 1864 and 77 and by 1876/77, there was also a 2nd WFC team also playing games that were sometimes reported. I did see references to Wittington playing against teams who we also played in the 1870's and so it is likely that we did play them at some point. There is one reference, a few lines, advertising a midweek game at the Racecourse between the Wrexham Football Club and Liverpool Clubs, although Assume that, like Wrexham, that specific Liverpool club had evolved from a cricket club, as there are reports in the newspapers from earlier years of a Liverpool Cricket team playing against Denbighshire County Cricket Club at the Racecourse and so it is possible that like WAFC, the team had links with the cricket team who had played at The Racecourse earlier. I also think that in the early days, the rules of the game were evolving, and rules from rugby were also merged into the football game. There are some references to this which Jonesfach mentioned earlier in the thread, although I think that by The late 1870's the game was a bit more like the game we know today, rather than the game from the mid 1860's. I might try at a later date, to see if I can find out in the archives as to when WAFC introduced specific rules to their own game, although I think that I may just have to pick that up as I go while reading through the reports.

Last edited by eastsussexred; 15th May 2016 at 06.56:28..
Old 15th May 2016, 07.35:08   #169-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymru_Am_Byth_WXM View Post
Fascinating stuff there EastSussexRed. I've recently finished my dissertation which is about football in Wrexham from 1860 until 1921 so it's all very interesting to me.
I did see on here last year that you were writing about the early game in the area CABW. Hopefully, your dissertation has been well recieved. It all adds depth to the history of our club and region.
Old 15th May 2016, 10.49:36   #170-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastsussexred View Post
a brief google search says that they were formed in 1885 from an ammalgamation of Chester Rovers and Old King's Scholars F.C. whoever they might have been?
Old Kings Scholars were a team of former pupils and staff from the original Kings School which was attached to Chester Cathedral. It is thought that they and the college morphed into the present day Chester Football Club.

There has always been a strong Welsh connection with The Kings School regarding education and sport.

Last edited by Inside Left; 15th May 2016 at 10.50:48..
Old 15th May 2016, 10.52:57   #171-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymru_Am_Byth_WXM View Post
Just being nosey but will this study be available to read anywhere?

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 19.34:19.