Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 3rd March 2016, 18.56:20   #82-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: none given
Twitter: @

Default Re: The sad case of a founding members and player of Wrexham Football Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesfach View Post
Perhaps this was the trigger for the pitch being turned. I notice it says stand also...so has anyone any idea when this was built?? Was it initially built for the racehorses?? It didn't have changing rooms so perhaps this was the case?
May well have been jonesfach, although I couldn't find any references to the pitch changing position the newspaper archives. Will keep on looking though.
Old 3rd March 2016, 19.19:14   #83-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

Racecourse Spot: Any spare seat

Default Re: The sad case of a founding members and player of Wrexham Football Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastsussexred View Post
May well have been jonesfach, although I couldn't find any references to the pitch changing position the newspaper archives. Will keep on looking though.
Just looked at an old picture from height which shows the racecourse completely seperate from the football part. So am guessing now the stand was built solely for the purpose of football. Is there somewhere where we could get planing details?? Do Wrexham council keep records so far back perhaps?
Old 3rd March 2016, 20.11:22   #84-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesfach View Post
Just looked at an old picture from height which shows the racecourse completely seperate from the football part. So am guessing now the stand was built solely for the purpose of football. Is there somewhere where we could get planing details?? Do Wrexham council keep records so far back perhaps?
Is there an online link to the picture Jonesfach or do you know what year the picture is dated?

Pretty much everything I've seen and read shows that the turf hotel and the tavern before it, was situated near to the winners post, with the earliest temporary grandstands built either side of the tavern, and there are references to show that Mold Road and Crispin Lane where situated as they are now, with the railway station in its current position. This places the lower section of The Racecourse (as sold by WWW in 1897- below) as it is now. Which means that there were always grandstands in the region surrounding where the current pitch is now.
I had believed that these grandstands would have been situated- 1 roughly where the kop is, and 1 roughly where MRS is.

WREXHAM RACECOURSE, The unexpected sale by Sir Watkin Williams Wynn, Bart., of the Turf Hotel, and one-third of the historic Wrexham Racecourse, has given rise to considerable speculation in the district. The buyers is Mr. T. P. Jones Parry, a Wrexham solicitor, and his purchase includes that portion of the racecourse where football, cricket, and other athletic sports take place, and where the stand, ring, and paddock for the races are located

The Racecourse circuit, was however, much bigger than the current land area of the stadium as it is now- 'The racecourse was ideally placed close to the railway station, was circular with a mile circumference and just a 2 furlong, uphill run-in'
WREXHAM RACECOURSE

The uphill run in suggests to me that racecourse ran clockwise in a radius up Mold Road, then turned right, up past Glyndwr, then back down to Crispin Lane with the 2 furlong uphill run in coming up past the kop.

Perhaps after the sale, the rest of the land was used, as distinct from the football stadium?

Last edited by eastsussexred; 3rd March 2016 at 20.21:38..
Old 3rd March 2016, 20.35:19   #85-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Sorry, I should have said that I had always visualised The Racecourse being in that orientation, rather than I believed, as I have no evidence to say believed.
Old 3rd March 2016, 20.53:32   #86-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

image.jpeg

This one I think it's from the 30's. Someone posted it on the photos thread also and knew the date it was taken. Ashfield road etc I think is on it and they were built circa 1935 onwards....afaik.
Old 3rd March 2016, 20.54:49   #87-0 (permalink)
Legend

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: Centre of the Kop, half way up,behind the goal....
Twitter: @wrexhamafc

Quote:
Is there an online link to the picture Jonesfach or do you know what year the picture is dated?
This one was dated 1948.
The Racecourse - The Racecourse
Old 3rd March 2016, 20.55:09   #88-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

Quote:
Sorry, I should have said that I had always visualised The Racecourse being in that orientation, rather than I believed, as I have no evidence to say believed.
Well if it did happen it was certainly before 1906, but as I am not the only one who believes this to be the case, it could well have been the case??
Old 3rd March 2016, 20.56:37   #89-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by brynoffa5 View Post
This one was dated 1948.
The Racecourse - The Racecourse
Thanks. 1948
Old 3rd March 2016, 21.07:52   #90-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

History Points - Racecourse stadium

An interesting bit about the soames' in this piece.

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 11.12:34.