Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15th May 2016, 11.13:35   #172-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: none given
Twitter: @

Default Re: The sad case of a founding members and player of Wrexham Football Club

cant find anything else in the national UK, or Welsh newspaper archives about the Liverpool game WAL, other than this article taken from The Wrexham Guardian 15th January 1876, for a game to be played on The Racecourse on Wednesday 19th January.
Old 15th May 2016, 11.39:50   #173-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: Previously season ticket in the Paddock. Now wherever I can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inside Left View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymru_Am_Byth_WXM View Post
Fascinating stuff there EastSussexRed. I've recently finished my dissertation which is about football in Wrexham from 1860 until 1921 so it's all very interesting to me.
Just being nosey but will this study be available to read anywhere?
I don't know at the moment, I suppose it depends on what mark I get. I could always forward you a copy once I have my marks though.
Old 15th May 2016, 11.52:47   #174-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Default Re: The sad case of a founding members and player of Wrexham Football Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymru_Am_Byth_WXM View Post
I don't know at the moment, I suppose it depends on what mark I get. I could always forward you a copy once I have my marks though.
Thankyou, please do CABW, It would be good to see what other clubs were also doing during those years
Old 28th May 2016, 17.49:20   #175-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Found two additional games in the archives from the 1873/74 season, highlighted red below

18th October 1873; Wrexham Football Club 1 - Chester College 0, at The Racecourse. (Game abandoned after 20 minutes) Chester played in blue jerseys and caps, although after the bad press of the previous year, [COLOR="Red"]Wrexham Football Club had passed a resolution at their start of season meeting to have their first official colours as 'all white' with a few wearing blue caps.
(The bad relationship between the 2 clubs was futher engrianed when Roger Williams, vice-captain of Wrexham, broke his leg, causing the game to be abandoned.)

01st November 1873; Wrexham Football Club 0 - Ruabon Rovers 0, 16-a-side teams at The Racecourse (match lasted 2 hours)

01st November 1873; Wrexham Football Club 0 Plasmadoc 0, at The Racecourse.

08th November 1873; Ruabon Rovers 0 - Wrexham Football Club 0, 16-a-side teams, at the vicarage field, Ruabon.

29th November 1873: Plasmadoc 0 Wrexham Football Club 0, at Plasmadoc 15-a-side teams.

06th December 1873; Wrexham Football Club v Provincial Insurance Company, at The Racecourse. score unknown, but game was advertised to take place on this day.

31st January 1874; Wrexham Football Club 0 - Ruabon Rovers 0, at The Racecourse.

14th February 1874: Ruabon Rovers v Wrexham Football Club, at Ruabon. score unknown but game was advertised to take place on this day.

21st February 1874; Wrexham Football Club 0 - Chester College 0, at The Racecourse, a rough, hard fought game.

01st March 1874; Wrexham Football Club v Chester College, at The Racecourse. result unknown, but game planned for this day

Last edited by eastsussexred; 28th May 2016 at 17.57:14..
Old 28th May 2016, 18.00:43   #176-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: Behind You.

You aware of this site ESR. Not alot of info but an interesting snippet.

The first 100 years 1873-1973

Last edited by Mr Wonderful; 28th May 2016 at 18.04:14..
Old 28th May 2016, 18.23:14   #177-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Wonderful View Post
You aware of this site ESR. Not alot of info but an interesting snippet.

The first 100 years 1873-1973
Thanks Mr W, I hadn't seen that particular history, but had read a bit about them while researching WAFC.

I think that 'Unquestionably the oldest football club in Wales' statement needs revising.
Interesting to note that Watkin Williams Wynn leased them Wynnstay Park, and the bit about George Best playing for the Manchester United youth team that played at their ground opening in later years.

Last edited by eastsussexred; 28th May 2016 at 18.24:39..
Old 28th May 2016, 19.06:34   #178-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasanActonlad View Post
If the Vicarige field in Ruabon is the pitch on the right as you go up to the Ruabon high school from the church, could it not lay claim to being the second oldest soccer pitch in Wales.
If one googles local regional papers on the national newspaper archive, there were clubs at Whitchurch and even Whittington, could Wrexham have had fixtures with these clubs in 1860's early 1870's.
Not sure what the local rag for Oswestry was for that period but if WFC were beginning to wander further afield surely (not Shirley) an Oswestry team must have been a fixture, as I believe the original Oswestry club is reputed to have been formed mid 1860's.

Another note of interest , interesting to note who the Liverpool team was in Jan 1876, Everton not formed till 1878, and lfc, came about was it 1890 following an internal row over rents charged by one of their directors on their original ground at Anfield, that left the said director with egg on his face , as Everton moved across Stanley park, so said director formed a new club to play at vacant stadium.

Could there be a possibility that with the number of 15/16 aside games in the early days that Wrexham Football Club may have indulged in the different codes of football, association and rugby, this was not uncommon in that period, ie Burnley, Barnes & Richmond.
There was a Liverpool Football Club in operation in 1876 WAL, although it must not have been the same one that developed into the current Everton or Liverpool Clubs.
I found this article (attached) in a weekly Journal of Amateur Sports dated 4th November 1876 showing the games for Liverpool Football Club 1876/77 season. While I cannot capture it all on a screen shot, the page also has Manchester Football Club and Sheffield Wednesday Cricket and Football fixtures on the same page.
Interestingly the Liverpool Football Club fixtures do not show the game against Wrexham Football Club, which was advertised to take place, in the Wrexham Advertiser, and so either it was arranged after the fixture list was published, or we were due to play against a different Liverpool Football Club.

Otherwise, the Advertiser got it wrong and we were playing a representative merseyside team, as during this season the Racecourse was also playing host to Wales football Association games against Birmingham and District Football Association and North Wales Football Association v Sheffield Football Association.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Liverpool.jpg (244.4 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by eastsussexred; 28th May 2016 at 19.11:46..
Old 28th May 2016, 20.23:12   #179-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastsussexred View Post
There was a Liverpool Football Club in operation in 1876 WAL, although it must not have been the same one that developed into the current Everton or Liverpool Clubs.
I found this article (attached) in a weekly Journal of Amateur Sports dated 4th November 1876 showing the games for Liverpool Football Club 1876/77 season. While I cannot capture it all on a screen shot, the page also has Manchester Football Club and Sheffield Wednesday Cricket and Football fixtures on the same page.
Interestingly the Liverpool Football Club fixtures do not show the game against Wrexham Football Club, which was advertised to take place, in the Wrexham Advertiser, and so either it was arranged after the fixture list was published, or we were due to play against a different Liverpool Football Club.

Otherwise, the Advertiser got it wrong and we were playing a representative merseyside team, as during this season the Racecourse was also playing host to Wales football Association games against Birmingham and District Football Association and North Wales Football Association v Sheffield Football Association.
Ah sorry WAL, just found out that Edinburgh Academicals Football Club that Liverpool Football Club were due to play, were actually a rugby club.
The page attached doesn't make a distinction between rugby and association football, but just mixes them both up.
Old 28th May 2016, 20.37:40   #180-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: Behind You.

Interestingly, I've read that the Welsh population of Liverpool in the 1870's was around 50-70,000. (Reading up on the Welsh Streets in Toxteth).
I'd imagine their would have been plenty of connections between the towns.

Last edited by Mr Wonderful; 28th May 2016 at 20.38:48..

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 14.10:41.