Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28th May 2016, 21.06:30   #181-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: none given
Twitter: @

Default Re: The sad case of a founding members and player of Wrexham Football Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Wonderful View Post
Interestingly, I've read that the Welsh population of Liverpool in the 1870's was around 50-70,000. (Reading up on the Welsh Streets in Toxteth).
I'd imagine their would have been plenty of connections between the towns.
I think you are right Mr W. Didn't it used to be called the capital of North Wales at one time?

Since learning that one of our founding players Thomas Broster emmigrated to South Africa, I have been trying to create links between the club and South Africa. I have also been researching Welsh, particularly North Welsh descendants in other countries, of which there are many; trying to find connections with wealth and influence in Argentina, North America and Canada.
Affiliated Welsh Organisations

with Canada alone having half-a -million claiming Welsh Ancestry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_Canadians

Toronto and Montreal also have populations with significant numbers who claim Welsh Ancestry, and just look at the value of their football teams

The Top 10 Most Valuable MLS Teams - TheRichest

Last edited by eastsussexred; 28th May 2016 at 21.12:29..
Old 28th May 2016, 21.44:12   #182-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: Behind You.

Default Re: The sad case of a founding members and player of Wrexham Football Club

Great links ESR, & sorry to have took your thread slightly off topic. But my last post on the matter that you may or may not know.

It's possible that twenty per cent of the Pilgrim Fathers of America were Welsh and perhaps more importantly almost fifty percent of the signatories to the American Declaration of Independence were also Welsh or of Welsh heritage. The author of the Declaration of Independence, President Thomas Jefferson, was among those of Welsh descent, along with eight other American presidents.

There is an inscription halfway up the steps of the Washington Monument which reads Fy iaith, fy ngwlad, fy nghenedl Cymru - Cymru am byth! ("My language, my land, my nation of Wales - Wales for ever!"). The engraved stone is from Wales, paid for by Welsh New Yorkers.

Wrexhams : http://www.wrexham.com/features/10-w...rld-45303.html

Last edited by Mr Wonderful; 28th May 2016 at 21.53:30..
Old 28th May 2016, 21.49:09   #183-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Wonderful View Post
Great links ESR, & sorry to have took your thread slightly off topic. But my last post on the matter that you may or may not know.

It's possible that twenty per cent of the Pilgrim Fathers of America were Welsh and perhaps more importantly almost fifty percent of the signatories to the American Declaration of Independence were also Welsh or of Welsh heritage. The author of the Declaration of Independence, President Thomas Jefferson, was among those of Welsh descent, along with eight other American presidents.

There is an inscription halfway up the steps of the Washington Monument which reads Fy iaith, fy ngwlad, fy nghenedl Cymru - Cymru am byth! ("My language, my land, my nation of Wales - Wales for ever!").
Thanks, I did read a bit about it Mr W. Didn't know about the inscription though.
Don't happen to have any of their email addresses do you
Old 29th May 2016, 00.26:37   #184-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

Racecourse Spot: Any spare seat

Amazing work as always. Just goes to show what great history we have, not only as a football club, but as a nation.
Old 29th May 2016, 22.11:14   #185-0 (permalink)
Legend

And a town... ok its not much... but its our town.... and our club... feel the passion
Old 30th May 2016, 15.55:06   #186-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastsussexred View Post
I have finally worked out the issues surrounding the construction dates and details of The Turf Tavern and The Turf Hotel.

The Turf Tavern was built between 1831 and 1835 and not 1840 to 1844 as published as a possible date range by The Royal Commission. This is confirmed by the fact that a landlord of The Turf Tavern was recorded in the Pigot Commercial Directory dated 1835 (John Tench (Pigot 1835) Turf Tavern)
Clwyd FHS - Historic Wrexham Inns

The same is also confirmed in The Denbighshire Archives.

https://www.denbighshire.gov.uk/en/r...sort=BestMatch

Although there are no records of The Turf Tavern in The Pigot Directory of 1830, and so the first date of occupation must have been between 1831 and 1835.

The Royal Commission had surveyed The Turf Hotel in 2007 and concluded that it had been built on the site of the demolished Turf Tavern in c1860.

Coflein

However, as previously posted, during the early years of the 1850’s the temperance movement and the church had organised a very strong campaign to have race meetings at The racecourse stopped, and so a pro-racing group consisting mostly of brewers and landlords had funded and arranged the construction of a new permanent grandstand in 1854, which was sited next to The Turf Tavern ‘where the MRS is situated today’.

I WREXHAM RACES. I|1853-10-15|The North Wales Chronicle and Advertiser for the Principality - Welsh Newspapers Online

The following year, the same group funded the construction of a new public house which was built directly onto the end of the original Turf Tavern.
In August 1855, John Whittaker, who had been landlord of The Turf Tavern for many years, posted an article in The Wrexham Advertiser, advertising a Housewarming Dinner .

Advertising|1855-08-11|Wrexham and Denbighshire Advertiser and Cheshire Shropshire and North Wales Register - Welsh Newspapers Online

Housewarming dinners were a well established custom for landlords when they moved into a new property in those days, and numerous newspaper articles show that John Whittaker had lived continuously at The Turf Tavern right up to the time that he advertised a housewarming dinner for his new property.
In effect, The Turf Tavern had not been demolished, but rather a New Turf Tavern had been built directly onto the old building (1855), with only the end section of The Tavern eventually being knocked down when the new MRS was built in 1999.

As soon as John Whittaker and his family moved into the new building, the end section of the old Turf Tavern was converted into offices for reporters and race officials.

SPORTING. I|1855-10-06|Wrexham and Denbighshire Advertiser and Cheshire Shropshire and North Wales Register - Welsh Newspapers Online

The upper floor of this section of The Turf Tavern would later be used as changing rooms.
The attached image shows the extent of The Turf Tavern, with the red diagonal line showing the section that had been converted into offices for racecourse officials, with the arrow showing the door and steps from the upper floor where the changing rooms for players had been, until this section was demolished.

The Turf Tavern was renamed and converted into The Turf Hotel in 1865, probably in response to the growing number of visitors to Wrexham, due to a rapidly expanding railway network.

Historic Wrexham Racecourse Videos Released - Wrexham.com Wrexham.com

I have just found an article which states that a Mr Evans of The Turf Tavern was a subscriber to The Wrexham Association for Detecting and Prosecuting Felons, recorded in The Chester, Cheshire and North Wales Advertiser on November 18th, 1825, and so takes the date of the Tavern on The Racecourse (the lower section of the existing Turf Hotel) back to at least 1825.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Turf Tavern 1825.jpg (182.0 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by eastsussexred; 30th May 2016 at 16.02:02..
Old 30th May 2016, 16.29:43   #187-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastsussexred View Post
I have finally worked out the issues surrounding the construction dates and details of The Turf Tavern and The Turf Hotel.

The Turf Tavern was built prior to 1825 and not 1840 to 1844 as published as a possible date range by The Royal Commission. This is confirmed by the fact that a landlord of The Turf Tavern was recorded in the Pigot Commercial Directory dated 1835 (John Tench (Pigot 1835) Turf Tavern)
Clwyd FHS - Historic Wrexham Inns

The same is also confirmed in The Denbighshire Archives.

https://www.denbighshire.gov.uk/en/r...sort=BestMatch

Although there are no records of The Turf Tavern in The Pigot Directory of 1830, and so the first date of occupation must have been between 1831 and 1835.

The Royal Commission had surveyed The Turf Hotel in 2007 and concluded that it had been built on the site of the demolished Turf Tavern in c1860.

Coflein

However, as previously posted, during the early years of the 1850’s the temperance movement and the church had organised a very strong campaign to have race meetings at The racecourse stopped, and so a pro-racing group consisting mostly of brewers and landlords had funded and arranged the construction of a new permanent grandstand in 1854, which was sited next to The Turf Tavern ‘where the MRS is situated today’.

I WREXHAM RACES. I|1853-10-15|The North Wales Chronicle and Advertiser for the Principality - Welsh Newspapers Online

The following year, the same group funded the construction of a new public house which was built directly onto the end of the original Turf Tavern.
In August 1855, John Whittaker, who had been landlord of The Turf Tavern for many years, posted an article in The Wrexham Advertiser, advertising a Housewarming Dinner .

Advertising|1855-08-11|Wrexham and Denbighshire Advertiser and Cheshire Shropshire and North Wales Register - Welsh Newspapers Online

Housewarming dinners were a well established custom for landlords when they moved into a new property in those days, and numerous newspaper articles show that John Whittaker had lived continuously at The Turf Tavern right up to the time that he advertised a housewarming dinner for his new property.
In effect, The Turf Tavern had not been demolished, but rather a New Turf Tavern had been built directly onto the old building (1855), with only the end section of The Tavern eventually being knocked down when the new MRS was built in 1999.

As soon as John Whittaker and his family moved into the new building, the end section of the old Turf Tavern was converted into offices for reporters and race officials.

SPORTING. I|1855-10-06|Wrexham and Denbighshire Advertiser and Cheshire Shropshire and North Wales Register - Welsh Newspapers Online

The upper floor of this section of The Turf Tavern would later be used as changing rooms.
The attached image shows the extent of The Turf Tavern, with the red diagonal line showing the section that had been converted into offices for racecourse officials, with the arrow showing the door and steps from the upper floor where the changing rooms for players had been, until this section was demolished.

The Turf Tavern was renamed and converted into The Turf Hotel in 1865, probably in response to the growing number of visitors to Wrexham, due to a rapidly expanding railway network.

Historic Wrexham Racecourse Videos Released - Wrexham.com Wrexham.com

Updated
Old 30th May 2016, 22.53:58   #188-0 (permalink)
Legend

There's a book here......

This needs keeping for posterity
Old 30th May 2016, 23.05:19   #189-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasanActonlad View Post
There's a book here......

This needs keeping for posterity
The idea is that it will all get updated onto WAFC/WST website, in time. I have added to an article called 'the early years', and anyone can contribute with articles by contacting the club via the website. I have also contacted WCBC, asking them to alter their history of our club

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 10.14:32.