Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 4th June 2017, 13.52:24   #343-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: none given
Twitter: @

Default Re: The sad case of a founding members and player of Wrexham Football Club (Massive history thread!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Crispin Lane View Post
Fascinating as ever E S R, maybe next project we could find out more about the origins of 9 acre field ! there's a wrexham heritage society plaque on Westminster drive just along the railings , marking the spot of the water pipe outlet used by steamrollers etc in days gone by.
I will see what I can find out Sir Crispin, although I am currently tied up trying to finalise the details of the history of Our Racecourse, which may have began as a community or sporting venue, sometime in the 1600's.
We know the early Romano/Brithonic history of the land from the 1st to 3rd Century A.D. onwards, but putting it all into words is a bit of a nightmare as, explaining it all, is very much tied into the birth and history of Wales itself as a nation; hence, occassionally, I add information on here.

Last edited by eastsussexred; 4th June 2017 at 13.59:14..
Old 4th June 2017, 14.22:33   #344-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: Mold Road

Default Re: The sad case of a founding members and player of Wrexham Football Club (Massive history thread!)

First time I've ever browsed this thread so apologies if Eastsussex already has this info but I checked the 1851 census for William Tootell and he's living aged 19 rather appropriately in Tuttle St Wrexham employed as a cork cutter and born in Nottingham.
In the 1861 census he's living with his wife, Elizabeth, his 3 children William, Jane and Hannah and his M in law Elizabeth Roberts all recorded as being born in Wrexham. As you identified he was a sergeant in the Royal Denbigh Militia and lived at the Military Depot in Regent street.
His death is registered as in Oct 1866.
Fascinating stuff and I've only read page 1 and 35 of the thread so far.
Old 4th June 2017, 14.33:27   #345-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted mcwhirter View Post
First time I've ever browsed this thread so apologies if Eastsussex already has this info but I checked the 1851 census for William Tootell and he's living aged 19 rather appropriately in Tuttle St Wrexham employed as a cork cutter and born in Nottingham.
In the 1861 census he's living with his wife, Elizabeth, his 3 children William, Jane and Hannah and his M in law Elizabeth Roberts all recorded as being born in Wrexham. As you identified he was a sergeant in the Royal Denbigh Militia and lived at the Military Depot in Regent street.
His death is registered as in Oct 1866.
Fascinating stuff and I've only read page 1 and 35 of the thread so far.
Thanks Ted. There is a summary on WST website Early Years
although since this was posted I have found a great deal of additional information, which will eventually be updated.
Old 4th June 2017, 15.54:54   #346-0 (permalink)
First Teamer

Default Re: The sad case of a founding members and player of Wrexham Football Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastsussexred View Post
In the attachment of my previous post, William Lewis is a Corvisor (another term for a cordwainer/shoemaker) who's shop was situated at the base of Town Hill, and who was associated with The Cordwainers Arms in 1666. It is also known that there were areas in Medieval Wrexham known as Shoemaker’s Mound and Shoemaker’s Hollow, and that there was another tavern in the town, known as The Shoemaker’s.
Additionally, there was a Crispin Inn at Lower Stansty (now known as Plas Coch) and Wrexham historian A.N. Palmer had hypothesized that an ancient guild of shoemakers may have been responsible for the existence of The Crispin Inn, as St Crispin was the patron Saint of Shoemakers. The Crispin Inn, which was still in existence in the mid 1700’s, also lent its name to the Crispin Field’s, on which, The Racecourse was later built. I have found no specific records relating to a date when The Crispin Inn may have been built, but it is known that Plas Coch (meaning Red Hall) was built around 1580/90 for Sir William Meredith of Stansty, who was The High Sheriff of Stansty and who was the treasurer and paymaster for the British army in the campaigns in The Netherlands, during the reigns of Queen Elizabeth I and King James I. In 1608, Sir William issued a contract to his brother- Edward Meredith (a draper and trader in London) to supply the uniforms and footwear for the soldiers of the army, although Sir William died later that same year and Plas Coch was passed to his family, with Edward Meredith holding the lease. Edward Meredith would also become The High Sheriff of Stansty in 1629, and it may well be, that if A.N. Palmer’s hypothesis regarding a guild of shoemakers is correct, then a possible date range for the construction of The Crispin Inn, would be the first few decades of the 1600’s, due to Edward Meredith’s trade associations. From this point, the area on which the Racecourse was later built, would become known as Crispins Fields, with Crispin Lane running through its lower boundaries.
I notice that you mention A.N.Palmer and would be most interested to know
wether he has any connection to the Palmers shoe shop that was in Hope Street,
Wrexham, as we would have a family connection.
Old 4th June 2017, 16.03:59   #347-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Crispin Lane View Post
Fascinating as ever E S R, maybe next project we could find out more about the origins of 9 acre field ! there's a wrexham heritage society plaque on Westminster drive just along the railings , marking the spot of the water pipe outlet used by steamrollers etc in days gone by.
Used mainly for the water dowsers which were employed to keep dust down on Wrexham's bust streets.
The pipe was to be removed but a couple of people with civic pride managed to get it renovated and the cicic society placed the plaque.
Old 4th June 2017, 16.09:48   #348-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Default Re: The sad case of a founding members and player of Wrexham Football Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelegged harry View Post
I notice that you mention A.N.Palmer and would be most interested to know
wether he has any connection to the Palmers shoe shop that was in Hope Street,
Wrexham, as we would have a family connection.
He worked for The Cambrian Leather Company between 1891 and 1904 Harry, but he never had any children to pass on any inheritence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Neobard_Palmer
Old 4th June 2017, 17.06:40   #349-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

What a fascinating and well prepared thread thank You eastsussex red.its what makes red passion worthwhile while many other threads are hijacked by others simply to score points.keep up the good work pal.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Old 4th June 2017, 17.30:32   #350-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Mostyn View Post
What a fascinating and well prepared thread thank You eastsussex red.its what makes red passion worthwhile while many other threads are hijacked by others simply to score points.keep up the good work pal.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Thanks RM.
My hope is that the information on here and on WST website gradually permeates into the local community and beyond, for the purpose of securing the future of The Racecourse and thereby aids the club.
As the old saying goes 'you can't buy history' but the greater the history, the better the profile and there cannot be too many fields in Wales that have such a rich history, as those fields off Crispin Lane.
Old 6th June 2017, 13.05:45   #351-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

For anyone involved in the Dismal Jimmy Campaign, please feel free to use any information on these pages regarding the history of The Racecourse, as the information is not yet recorded anywhere else. pm me if you require additional information.

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 11.53:57.