Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23rd January 2016, 01.00:21   #37-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: none given
Twitter: @

Default Re: The sad case of a founding member and player of Wrexham Football Club

in 1871, prior to emigrating to South Africa, Thomas Broster (page 2 of thread) his wife Harriet and two daughters Harriet Mary (2) and Sarah Florence (0) are living in Lambpit Street, Wrexham; mostly likely at his parents house at No 32 Lambpit Street.

Last edited by eastsussexred; 23rd January 2016 at 01.08:17..
Old 25th January 2016, 21.33:12   #38-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Default Founding players 1864

Is there anyone who can help out with a bit of research regarding the remaining players from our original team who played against Prince of Wales Fire Brigade 1864?
The original thread was closed and there are still 3 players who need to be confirmed, although I have just started a new contract and so may not have much time for a while
The players in question are
J Taylor, G.R. Johnson and Jos Roberts.
I had originally posted that J Taylor was John Taylor who later became the secretary of the Football Association of Wales, although I now know that this is not likely to be true; Instead I have established that it was a John Taylor, born 1842, the son of John and Anne Taylor, the landlord of the Swan Inn Penybryn.
John Taylor snr was injured in an accident in 1859 and Anne taylor died the same year. John Taylor jnr then briefly became the Landlord of the Swan Inn, but he disappears from the radar after being recorded as the Swan Inn Landlord in 1868.
He had been a member of the Gentlemen of Denbighshire Cricket team in 1867 and was also recorded as being a Steward at Autumn Sports events at the Racecourse and was therefore the same John Taylor who played in our first ever game.
This seems very likely as his brother Thomas Buchannan Taylor b 1847 also later played for Wrexham Football club, winning silverware for being the best player twice during the 1870's and becoming a secretary for the club in the 1880's/90's. T.B. Taylor would also later become a counsellor For Wrexham Council .
John Taylors wife may have given birth to a son 19th September 1868 in Rhosddu.
But John Taylor then seems to disappear

G.R Johnson and Joseph Roberts both played for Provincial Cricket Club in 1864 and would likely have been insurance clerks at the Provincial Insurance office, High Street Wrexham. G.R was most likely a George R Johnson and he was a volunteer in the Prince of Wales Fire Brigade, but he then disappears from the records. Joseph Roberts may have been a shoe maker born 1841 and married and lived at crescent Terrace Wrexham in 1881, although I cannot tie him in as definitely being the same Jos Roberts who played for Wrexham.
I do not have the year of deaths for either of these people.
It is possible that either of these 3 may have had an association with the Denbighshire militia.
If anyone is retired, or anyone who has time on their hands , then any help to confirm who these people are would be very much appreciated.
a good source of information is found in http://newspapers.library.wales/

Last edited by eastsussexred; 25th January 2016 at 21.42:12..
Old 25th January 2016, 22.33:56   #39-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot:

Default Re: Founding players 1864

I for one find this interesting and no doubt others who have researched football history in Wrexham also find it of interest. Why was the original thread closed?? Keep up the good work ESR
Old 26th January 2016, 00.13:46   #40-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot:

Can't believe the thread was closed.
Old 26th January 2016, 11.44:40   #41-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlLondonred View Post
Can't believe the thread was closed.
The thought police with no thought.
Old 26th January 2016, 20.07:50   #42-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inside Left View Post
I for one find this interesting and no doubt others who have researched football history in Wrexham also find it of interest. Why was the original thread closed?? Keep up the good work ESR
Thanks Inside Left, I understand that others are also looking into our early history, which can only be a good thing for the club. There are, of course, those who have done such things for years, but I suppose that they just hadn't thought to research who the original 10 players were.
Hopefully, any forthcoming information will just add depth to our history.
Old 26th January 2016, 20.47:47   #43-0 (permalink)
Legend

Another one who finds the historical stuff interesting.
On the other stuff thread, there is a food sub section at top. Can there not be a historical
Sub section opened for all historical threads on club.
Old 26th January 2016, 21.24:58   #44-0 (permalink)
Legend

If memory correct does'nt the report of the first ever game make's a reference to the return of the "kick-ball game" suggesting football had been played earlier in the town.
Reports of gala's , fêtes and Sunday school picnics report football played. Though that first report is worded it was a real game.
Have read previously in respect of history of game how apprentices played in Chester in mediaeval times, where they used oak tree bark for shin pads.
Old 26th January 2016, 22.21:04   #45-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasanActonlad View Post
If memory correct does'nt the report of the first ever game make's a reference to the return of the "kick-ball game" suggesting football had been played earlier in the town.
Reports of gala's , fêtes and Sunday school picnics report football played. Though that first report is worded it was a real game.
Have read previously in respect of history of game how apprentices played in Chester in mediaeval times, where they used oak tree bark for shin pads.
I believe that the game as we know it came from across the border in Shrewsbury, where grammar schools developed a dribbling game, rather than the old medieval game that you refer too.
A version of football, christened‘ douling’ had been introduced at the school in around 1842 and it was from this game that football began to be developed.
I think that the phrase that you refer to was the return of the 'old leg hit game' and was played earlier around Wrexham. If my memory serves me correctly there were a few teams around that were older than Wrexham although we were the one that went on to become a football league team.

There is a really good piece about football in the area in the early days, with reference notes, although I believe that some of his dates might be incorrect

?The New Craze?: Football and Society in North-East Wales, c.1870-90 | Martin Johnes - Academia.edu

Last edited by eastsussexred; 26th January 2016 at 22.24:44..

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 05.37:07.