Advert  

Go Back   RedPassion.co.uk Wrexham FC Message Board > Wrexham

Season Two Episode Threads: S2E1 Welcome Back / S2E2 Quiet Zone / S2E3 Nott Yet / S2E4 Shaun's Vacation / S2E5 First Losers / S2E6 Ballers / S2E7 Giant Killers / S2E8 The Grind / S2E9 Glove Triangle / S2E10 Gresford / S2E11 Yn Codi / S2E12 Hand of Foz / S2E13 Family Business / S2E14 Worst Case Scenario / S2E15 Up The Town?/

Wrexham Talk about things related to Wrexham Football Club !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19th October 2017, 18.08:41   #469-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Racecourse Spot: none given
Twitter: @

Default Re: The sad case of a founding members and player of Wrexham Football Club (Massive history thread!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted mcwhirter View Post
I have a picture of Brymbo Vics 1910-11 which I'll post if someone can tell me how to. Their kit looks darker than red but that's just a guess.
Copy the picture onto your desktop, then right click on that picture and select ‘ open with paint’. When it is open select ‘save as’ and select jpg image. Then on your RP post select advanced, and on the page select add image and direct the search to your desktop. Then select upload and when the image has uploaded, close the page. The image will then be on your new post. May sound complicated but only takes seconds
Old 23rd October 2017, 18.23:21   #470-0 (permalink)
Squad Player

Racecourse Spot: Mold Road

Default Re: The sad case of a founding members and player of Wrexham Football Club (Massive history thread!)

Hopefully with the image attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0160.JPG (687.1 KB, 59 views)
Old 23rd October 2017, 18.30:39   #471-0 (permalink)
Taking coaching badges

Racecourse Spot: Any spare seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted mcwhirter View Post
Hopefully with the image attached.
Nice one. Wonder what the cup is?
Old 23rd October 2017, 21.33:59   #472-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesfach View Post
Nice one. Wonder what the cup is?
I think it must have been The Vale of Clwyd League Challenge Cup Jonesfach. There is a photo of Rhyl with three cups in the 1950’s, including the said Cup. https://rhylhistoryclub.files.wordpr...edited-1rr.jpg. Of the 2 other cups in the photo, it was not The Soames Cup and I think that the national league cup was founded much later than 1910/11, so that only leaves The Vale of Clwyd league Challenge Cup. I don’t think that Brymbo Vics have previously been credited with winning this cup, so it is one to add to their history

Last edited by eastsussexred; 23rd October 2017 at 21.43:34..
Old 23rd October 2017, 22.30:31   #473-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastsussexred View Post
I think it must have been The Vale of Clwyd League Challenge Cup Jonesfach. There is a photo of Rhyl with three cups in the 1950’s, including the said Cup. https://rhylhistoryclub.files.wordpr...edited-1rr.jpg. Of the 2 other cups in the photo, it was not The Soames Cup and I think that the national league cup was founded much later than 1910/11, so that only leaves The Vale of Clwyd league Challenge Cup. I don’t think that Brymbo Vics have previously been credited with winning this cup, so it is one to add to their history
Sorry, meant to say photo of Rhyl from the 1920’s
Old 24th October 2017, 10.37:04   #474-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastsussexred View Post
I think it must have been The Vale of Clwyd League Challenge Cup Jonesfach. There is a photo of Rhyl with three cups in the 1920’s, including the said Cup. https://rhylhistoryclub.files.wordpr...edited-1rr.jpg. Of the 2 other cups in the photo, it was not The Soames Cup and I think that the national league cup was founded much later than 1910/11, so that only leaves The Vale of Clwyd league Challenge Cup. I don’t think that Brymbo Vics have previously been credited with winning this cup, so it is one to add to their history
Correction. It was The Soames Charity Cup that Brymbo Vics won in the 1910/11 season. The Cup was also known as The Denbighshire and Flintshire Charity Cup, and was later known as The North Wales Charity Cup.
I have a photo of the Soames Charity Cup, which Wrexham won in the 1898/99 season (attached).
I have also added a side by side image of the trophy from Rhyl's 1923/24 season and Brymbo Vics 1910/11 season (attached).
Again, I dont think that Brymbo Vics have previously been credited with winning this trophy in the 1910/11 season, which I understand was their final season, before they folded.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1898 99 WFC.JPG (291.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg djtrfdyfk.jpg (141.6 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by eastsussexred; 24th October 2017 at 10.43:07..
Old 26th October 2017, 07.24:28   #475-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

(info 1 & 2)  
Racecourse Spot: Previously season ticket in the Paddock. Now wherever I can get.

I was looking into the formation of Druids yesterday. I know it's widely accepted that they were formed in 1872 when Plas Madoc (supposedly formed in 1869), merged with Ruabon Volunteers and Ruabon Rovers, however is anyone aware of any existing/surviving primary sources to back this up?

I can find sources showing a football team was formed in Cefn in 1872, and other sources from 1876 saying Druids were formed 4 years before, however nothing backing up the merger of the Ruabon teams. There is further anomalies as both Ruabon clubs played against each other in 1873, and Ruabon Rovers were still active up until at least 1879.
Old 27th October 2017, 09.19:19   #476-0 (permalink)
Due a Testimonial

Just noticed that we are advertising that The Racecourse was built in 1807 https://www.wrexhamafc.co.uk/club/my-racecourse

I believe that this may have been due to the book ' Wrexham Races- The Forgotten Welsh Racecourse, by Arthur N Shone, which was published in 1991. Arthur Shone had referred to an advertisment for The Wrexham Races on 'the new course' in The Chester Chronicle from September 1807, and this seems to have been picked up and published elsewhere online, but as previously posted, Wrexham Races were in existence in the 1600's and were advertised in London newspapers in the 1730's as well as other newspapers throughout the 18th Century, although I have not yet been able to confirm if these earlier races took place on Y cae Ras. However articles (attached) confirm that Wrexham Races were already taking place on the 'new course' (Our Racecourse) at least as far back as 1800, and hopefully the dates on our website will be changed to reflect this.

Last edited by eastsussexred; 27th October 2017 at 09.27:50..
Old 27th October 2017, 09.40:16   #477-0 (permalink)
Cult Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymru_Am_Byth_WXM View Post
I was looking into the formation of Druids yesterday. I know it's widely accepted that they were formed in 1872 when Plas Madoc (supposedly formed in 1869), merged with Ruabon Volunteers and Ruabon Rovers, however is anyone aware of any existing/surviving primary sources to back this up?

I can find sources showing a football team was formed in Cefn in 1872, and other sources from 1876 saying Druids were formed 4 years before, however nothing backing up the merger of the Ruabon teams. There is further anomalies as both Ruabon clubs played against each other in 1873, and Ruabon Rovers were still active up until at least 1879.
If you get the chance pop along to the Druids club, they have lots of photos and info on the history of the Druids.

Quick Forum Links: Wrexham Forum - Live Match Threads - Offtopic Chat - General Footy - Other Sports - Entertainment - New Posts - Live Match Threads
RP Homepage Forums List

Season 1 Episode Threads: S1E1 Dream / S1E2 Reality / S1E3 Rebuilding / S1E4 Home Opener / S1E5 Fearless / S1E6 Hamilton! / S1E7 Wide World of Wales / S1E8 Away We Go / S1E9 Welcome Home / S1E10 Hooligans / S1E11 Sack the Gaffer / S1E12 Wins and Losses / S1E13 Worst Team in the League / S1E14 A Hollywood Distraction / S1E15 Daggers / S1E16 Hello Wembley / S1E17 Wromance / S1E18 Do or Die |

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting.
All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and RP does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.
The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of RP.
IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored.

Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact RP to bring a post, user or thread to the attention of a site 'admin' or 'mod'.
Our privacy policy can be found here.

Select Version: PC View | Mobile RP | Dark

All times are WMT (Wrexham Mean Time). For non-town viewers the time now is 19.13:43.